Talk

Advanced search

Sedbergh or Rugby

(10 Posts)
squirrelnut Thu 03-Oct-19 18:27:25

DS has the opportunity to attend one of these two senior schools and I was wondering if anyone has any recent experience?

He is VERY sporty and loves the outdoors. Does well academically, especially maths but sport especially rugby is his passion.

He currently attends a small rural prep with a very all inclusive, nurturing ethos.

He will be a full boarder.

Any advice most welcome smile

SamGab Thu 03-Oct-19 23:50:28

Your DS sounds very similar to my DS who is currently at Sedbergh. He loves the school and has really enjoyed full boarding.

squirrelnut Fri 04-Oct-19 10:46:58

Thank you! Did he start in Yr 9? Has he settled in well and made friends SamGab?

SamGab Fri 04-Oct-19 13:15:02

Yes, started in year 9. The School were great in getting them settled in along with the House Master.

They are kept very busy which I think helps avoid home sickness and because they are with each other day in day out then soon made friends. I think around 95% of students are full boarders which again helps.

I also like the fact that they must hand mobile devices in at 10pm every night so that they can get a good night’s sleep as the days are very long.

nolanscrack Fri 04-Oct-19 13:40:48

Is he a good rugby player,by that I mean possible academy standard...?

squirrelnut Fri 04-Oct-19 14:06:26

Yes he is a very strong rugby player and has been playing since U6.

nolanscrack Fri 04-Oct-19 15:32:30

If he is of academy pathway standard or above and all other things being = then Sedbergh,nice children,fantastic setting ,decent enough academics and a top notch Rugby school.

Changemyname18 Fri 04-Oct-19 17:39:48

Sedburgh has an outstanding rugby reputation

Bunter888 Fri 25-Oct-19 15:31:48

squirrelnut....the top four English Rugby schools at the moment in order are, in my opinion:

1) Sedbergh
2) Wellington
3) Whitgift
4) Millfield

Sedbergh is a lovely, small school but isolated. If he is not potentially of professional standard I am not sure I would choose it. The standard of the top schools is extraordinary and the best players will be playing off the bench for their premiership teams in their final year

Rugby is a larger school and where I sent my sons. It is a fantastic all round school which offers the complete range and, as he develops, his interests may change. Rugby is a strong rugby school, a notch below Sedbergh, as everybody is. But, for example, it has both the Under 18 Scotland and England captains in the current XV.

Dancingdreamer Fri 25-Oct-19 23:13:34

What about Bromsgrove and Warwick? I thought they were both strong rugby schools also?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »