Talk

Advanced search

Raising a complaint re school

(11 Posts)
Landlubber2019 Sat 21-Sep-19 07:14:06

Had anyone done it and were you satisfied with the process/ conclusion?

Landlubber2019 Sat 21-Sep-19 11:46:09

Bump

PennysPocket Sat 21-Sep-19 11:50:07

It's depends on the complaint and how you raise it.
I have raised a few verbal complaints over the years that were not major serious that were dealt with swiftly and had good outcomes.
I have made one formal written complaint that took longer and went nowhere so we changed schools.

SushiGo Sat 21-Sep-19 11:52:18

I tried to raise a formal complaint but was told as we were leaving the school it wouldn't be investigated.

I'm very glad to have left that school!

spongedog Sat 21-Sep-19 12:03:38

in process of a formal written complaint. Issue is that the governors will only back the head so what is the point of them? They are clearly not independent and breach normal guidance as to how long you should remain as an independent trustee etc. So where do you go after that? Very disillusioned with the independent sector - required for special needs purposes.

youarenotkiddingme Sat 21-Sep-19 12:08:00

I raised a formal complaint.

It was a farse.

School didn't follow own policies.
Then said because student didn't want to (take witness statement although statement was made to police)
School changed story 3 times and witnesses to this.
School denied event happens despite verbal and written communication it did.
School said it didn't happen because police didn't investigate - yet in complaint actually even put the evidence was a photo of the knife and also excluded the pupil for 2 days.

It was ridiculous and looking back i was never going to win because their slt were abusive and 1 was gaslighting me. And la wanted the cheapest outcome.

I would never encourage someone not to complain though. Every complaint will rear it's head at some point - even if you were unsuccessful. Paper trails don't disappear and schools don't like them. So make sure everything is in writing and if they phone you email to confirm what was discussed and if they don't correct you then it's taken they agree with your minutes.

Good luck thanks

Landlubber2019 Sat 21-Sep-19 20:38:04

Oh sad I guess that is why I have never submitted a formal complaint despite issues previously.

I will send it in and expect little in return angry

DobbinsVeil Tue 24-Sep-19 18:18:08

I raised a formal complaint and was very unhappy with the Governor's response, so I escalated to the next level which is a panel heating.

I was put under considerable pressure to withdraw, including being practically ambushed by the Chair of Governors(!).
The Chair reviewed my complaint and upheld it but this was subject to me withdrawing. Which I did but have since regretted.

I'm glad I'd put everything in my complaint in writing, so that it's there for any future issues.

Good luck

LolaSmiles Wed 25-Sep-19 16:00:34

My reply disappeared.
Long story short:

It depends on the complaint, back story and the overall culture of the school/academy trust.

For example a complaint that is largely "I sent my child to the school and the rules were clear but now I'm formally complaining because you've expected my child to follow the rules and haven't bent over each time I've come in yelling at staff" doesn't tend to get the same weight as "here's the ways your school have failed to ensure my child is safe, here are the records of their SEND needs, here are all the behaviour incidents I've been called to where staff have not just been unaware of my DC's EHCP but have actively made the situation worse, here are the dates of every time you suggested I collect DC making them all illegal exclusions".

I wouldn't volunteer too much information on here, but if you've got your evidence and it's clear, you've got your documents and so on then if the school procedures don't bring a resolution then you've got what's required to go above the school.

Good luck.

PenguinsRabbits Thu 26-Sep-19 11:16:42

I've always had good outcomes but normally the first reaction is resistance though one Headteacher I got on incredibly well with and I used to get more than I asked for.

I tend to compliment what I can as well as complain and emphasise I understand how difficult it is. With SN sometimes I've had to involve the LEA SEND team when school are illegally excluding. Our local LEA SEND team are lovely.

Governors never known anyone have success with, everyone I've known who has complained and has needed to take it as far as governors has generally left the school.

I've managed to get a TA for DS at primary and at secondary a wall and CCTV have been put in place to stop children (not mine but vulnerable children with MH issues) running into a 60mph road. Illegal exclusions have stopped, thanks to LEA.

PenguinsRabbits Thu 26-Sep-19 11:45:14

You don't always get told outcome due to confidentiality issues, it can be a case of seeing if things change. So in primary when my son was attacked by another child with a tree branch I obviously raised it (explaining also I knew it was hard for school and his family but I needed my child to be safe). I had a call from senco saying they would look into it but no further communication. So asked DS and he said the boy was never at school since it happened and he never returned so would guess was permanently excluded. He had come a few weeks earlier from another school and had been attacking quite a few children and clearly needed more support / intervention. So if they don't respond much doesn't mean nothing is happening.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »