Talk

Advanced search

Moved ds during reception year but he hasnt settled

(6 Posts)
Flyonthewindscreen Wed 25-Jul-07 20:37:06

We moved house at Easter which meant a school move during ds's reception year, after he had been with the same group of children at a village school though playgroup, nursery and part of reception. His new reception class in a nearby village school is a similar close knit group and it has been difficult for him to join it.

Since we moved we have still spent a lot of time with his old friends but after a recent holiday in which ds constantly talked about his old friends and barely mentioned any new classmates I decided that I would try to arrange playdates, etc as much as possible with his new schoolmates over the summer and to see as little of his old friends as possible until he was really settled and happy.

Do you think this will help or am I just being mean and keeping him away from his close friends before he has had a chance to make new ones?

Sorry for my first post on what might seem trivial, trying to think what will help ds start year 1 on the right foot...

Kam

noonar Wed 25-Jul-07 20:44:51

kam, this is not trivial at all! i think your idea is fab. good luck.

LIZS Wed 25-Jul-07 21:17:37

Sounds like a good plan. Make sure he does still see and talk about his old friends too though. We moved when dd was due to start Reception and 2 years on she had an old friend to visit and they still got on well. We make time during holidays to visit old friends too.

constancereader Fri 27-Jul-07 09:21:06

It is a great plan. Hope he has lots of fun.

castille Fri 27-Jul-07 09:39:49

Sounds good to me. Encouraging friendships, new and old, will be a great help. And I bet once he's back at school in September he'll consolidate new friendships really fast. A new classroom, a new teacher, the long summer break - these things shift existing friendships and make it easier for new arrivals to fit in.

Good luck, I'm sure he'll be fine!

Furball Fri 27-Jul-07 09:44:32

We did exactly the sam KamR but in ds new class there are only 4 boys, so choice of friends is sparse. There are mixed classes at the new school and ds was alot more happier at the start of year 1 last year as he wasn't the new boy anymore. it is hard though, we see old friends alot during holidays as I am still good friends with the mums, I don't think it makes much difference in the whole scheme of things how much they see of old friends, but it is also as you know important to get them in circulation with new friends, which is what you are planning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now