Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Schools with no uniform - what does your child wear to school?

(12 Posts)
posyhairdresser Mon 13-Sep-04 13:41:07

My dd has just started school - there is no uniform at our school.

Is that unusual now for primary schools?

What do other people send their children to school wearing when there is no uniform?

coddychops Mon 13-Sep-04 13:43:52

we went to the scillys a whole ago
theere was no uniform t here on tresco
kids loioked so nice

coddychops Mon 13-Sep-04 13:54:23

look

Batters Mon 13-Sep-04 13:59:31

My dd's primary school has no uniform policy, posy.

99% of the kids (boys and girls) wear casual clothes - jeans/trousers/leggings, tshirts/sweatshirts etc. What was a pleasant surprise was the fact that very, very few kids appear to wear designer gear and that most of the children look really nice. I think the policy works really well for my dd's school. I think it was originally put in place to try and show that the school wants to be seen as an extension of the child's family. Teachers are also called by their first names.

Dd is quite a girly girl so wears lots of embroided jeans and flowery tops. She won't wear skirts or dresses as she is worried about falling over and hurting her knees.

Having had lots of conversations with MN teachers though I am not so sure a no uniform policy would work at secondary school level.

spacemonkey Mon 13-Sep-04 14:29:53

ds' school has no uniform - he wears tracksuit bottoms and a t shirt or a football shirt. There doesn't appear to be any competitiveness with designer labels afaik

KateandtheGirls Mon 13-Sep-04 14:31:53

Comfortable clothes that you don't mind getting messed up is the key I think. I never let mine go to school in skirts and dresses. Shorts, trousers, tshirts etc.

posyhairdresser Mon 13-Sep-04 18:09:03

I am going for nice bright colours & patterns to make the most of it!

Own clothes do seem less intimidating than regimented uniforms IMHO

hateuniforms Mon 07-Feb-05 17:00:48

Just reviving this thread to ask whether anyone knows how to find primary schools without uniforms (without having to phone each school in town).
Changed my name as most people in RL know how much I hate uniforms...

lockets Mon 07-Feb-05 17:03:12

Message withdrawn

hateuniforms Mon 07-Feb-05 17:28:24

midlands

lockets Mon 07-Feb-05 17:30:26

Message withdrawn

hateuniforms Mon 07-Feb-05 17:34:28

goood idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now