Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I want to write a stonkingly good letter to school persuading them to take 3 DSs.......

(13 Posts)
mozhe Fri 13-Jul-07 15:25:02

....unless I can come up with an overwhelmingly good case the french lycee in New York say they have 'no room' for my 3 DSs after Xmas....Grr.
They HAVE to go there....they are french educated and we will only be there for 6 months,( should I tell them this ? Haven't so far...), then they have places at petit lycee in London...but if they go to american school they will lose out ? Or should I just go with the flow....I KNOW how impossible the private school scene is in NY but we're talking about the hugely lovely/talented Mozhe DSs here....
I need a brill letter...where do I start ?

Tortington Fri 13-Jul-07 15:26:40

accept my kids mo fo or i'll pop a cap in yer ass?

Carnoodleusfudge Fri 13-Jul-07 15:43:16

Would you like the 3 DSs and a new library/IT suite/science labs?

mozhe Fri 13-Jul-07 17:29:22

Hmmm Carnoodle...have heard that 'donations' are a common strategy in NY..to get your kids into the best schools..not sure if it will work with the lycee though...not sure if I could run to libraries/science labs either....how about a few books or bunsen burners ?

suedonim Fri 13-Jul-07 23:20:11

How old are your dc and do they speak English as well as French? We've moved about a fair bit and tbh, unless you're at the exam stage I don't think six months in a different school system is here or there. Dd2 had almost four months out of school when we moved country when she was 6yo but it did no harm.

Although it wasn't planned that way, dd1 missed 6mths of her Standard Grade (Scottish = GCSE) courses but still passed with four One's and four Two's.

aloha Fri 13-Jul-07 23:23:50

Doubt it would be any problem to chop and change a bit at this stage. Why not bring your French au pair with you to keep up the French. But tell them your job, your dh's job, volunteer to help in the school and say you urgently want them to keep up their french as you are plannign to live there eventually and are doing lifesaveing work in NY?
Not the end of the world if they don't get in. A Certain Poster keeps telling us all that learning French is economically pointless anyway, though personally I do regret the fact that I could speak fluent German at four and now can't say anything except count to ten and say Ich leibe dich, liebes du mir?

aloha Fri 13-Jul-07 23:31:48

actually, think it is spelled 'Liebst'
I can also say 'bitte comben mein haar'
and
'gibst est mir'
and
'was ist das?'
and
'Ich möchte schlafen'
and
'mutti'

Can you tell I last spoke German when I was four?

Quattrocento Fri 13-Jul-07 23:47:42

Mozhe - you can do winsome and girlish - as a successful woman you must - can't you explore what the constraints are with them? Don't they have an accueil class they can stick them in for 6 months for instance?

walbert Fri 13-Jul-07 23:53:45

Go with Custardo's suggestion: you can smuggle the kids in while staff hoot untiltheirt sides hurt!

mozhe Sat 14-Jul-07 15:10:05

NY schools notoriously 'up their own asses'...I will NEVER get the slightly raggle taggle Mozhe DCs into any of those upper east side joints....The Lycee makes perfect sense....wish Anna was around as she knew someone whose DCs HAD got in.....ANNA !! come back....

Judy1234 Sat 14-Jul-07 16:03:11

There was a scandal over someone bribing a NY school (unsuccessfully by the way). Can't remember the details now. What about home school with tutors if it's just 6 months?

mozhe Sat 14-Jul-07 18:52:26

Yes...maybe...though suspct accomodations will not be very spacious, that may be a problem.
I suppose I could try to find french primary school teacher who wants 6 months in NY...

Quattrocento Mon 16-Jul-07 19:16:34

Strangely enough I have just found a french primary school teacher who wants to spend a year aupairing to improve English. You could do just that I am sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now