Talk

Advanced search

anyone else not *get* Freddy Fit and "fitness" "lessons" at primary school

(8 Posts)
hatwoman Mon 09-Jul-07 19:34:21

every single 7 year old I know loves running around. they all play catch or tag, they love skipping, they love playing football. Many enjoy tennis, and most love swimming and dancing. Many do and enjoy karate or judo.

In my mind "keep fit" is for people over a certain age, who have no interest in these and other activities - that happen to have keeping fit as a convenient by-product. given their lack of interest they turn to "keeping fit" as an end itself. But
kids love a huge array of things in their own right. wouldn;t we be better letting them get on with/encouraging them in the things they love than sending them into the school hall to learn about stretching and to wave their hands and legs about for no discernible reason (other than keeping fit - which as far as 7 year olds are concerned counts as indiscernible)

The fittest adults I know are not "keep fit" fanatics they are people who have had a love of something ignited in them when young - cycling, climbing, ski-ing, football, hockey.

sorry that's turned into a bit of a rant, but I really don;t "get" Freddy Fit. in fact I fear it could even be counter-productive by turning kids off exercise. I know that, courtesy of Freddy, my two now think "keeping fit" is boring. anyone else?

hatwoman Mon 09-Jul-07 21:10:34

just me then...

islandofsodor Tue 10-Jul-07 00:04:00

I've never heard of this scheme but stretching, jogging and waving arms and legs about (well sort of) are an essential part of warming up for any activity. My dd aged 5 loves dancing but always has to warm up first to help prevent injuries.

CristinaTheAstonishing Tue 10-Jul-07 00:09:51

You mean you wouldn't see the point in baby yoga classes either?

RosaLuxembourg Tue 10-Jul-07 00:53:37

Never heard of Freddy Fit. Your school should have to follow a fairly rigid curriculum for PE though which means that children get exposed to a variety of different activities - gym, ball games, dancing etc rather than just 'keep fit'.

PrettyCandles Tue 10-Jul-07 06:46:22

I've never heard of Freddy Fit, but I can imagine it! One of my childrens' videos begins with a totally irrelevant childrens' fitness session, with a couple of adults leading a group of young teens and primary school age children in a vaguely aerobicsy routine (lots of arm-waving!) I think it's some sort of misguided attempt at teaching children the importance of fitness and trying to persuade them to do it deliberately when they're older. Some hope! As you say, it's boring stuff at that age, far better that they run around and learn to enjoy sports that they are likely to keep doing through the rebellious, lazy, teenage years, than try to brainwash them into an adult pursuit.

Furball Tue 10-Jul-07 07:09:14

at our primary everymorning they do 'shake and wake' however don't don't what it consists of. It apparently does wake and motivate them for the day.

Celia2 Tue 10-Jul-07 07:33:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now