Talk

Advanced search

Whitgift versus Reeds

(22 Posts)
centreohwill Mon 18-Feb-19 21:38:40

Hello, my DS got offers to Whitgift(11+) and Reeds .(13+). As at today he's happy to go to either one.. We believe they are both good schools but each has a different feel. Loved the facilities at whitgift, and loved the pastoral care at Reeds. DS Will tneed to take school bus for both. I’m leaning towards Reeds but DH wants DS to just get on with it and start at 11+. I don’t think I mind either entry point (i.e 11 or 13) and my decision will depend on the school itself and fit for DS.

I would really appreciate any insight from parents with experience of either school . DS is sporty and loves maths but needs to improve in English. He is rather sensitive IMO . It would be great to decide and free up a space for someone on waitlist.

centreohwill Mon 18-Feb-19 21:39:41

Thanks all!

sazzy5 Tue 19-Feb-19 10:15:08

I don’t know much about whitgift other than it seems sporty. Personally love Reed’s, great feel to the place and definitely striving to get good academic results. It is in the middle of nowhere and I think the day is long with the extra activities they do. Maybe go back and look again?

centreohwill Tue 19-Feb-19 10:40:55

Thanks sazzy5, Reeds have an open day on 2nd March and I plan to go see it again but I don't think we can visit whitgift again. Agree if he misses school bus can't get to Reeds by public transport ....

Seeline Tue 19-Feb-19 13:09:52

What will he do for the 2 years if he takes the 13+ place? Is that the best use of the time?
Will he have to go straight into GSCE courses at Y9 if he starts at 13 - many school are doing 3 year courses in at least some subjects now. So will he have to choose his options before even starting at the school and having a feel for how the subjects are taught?
I don't know the specifics of each school, but having got DCs at Y10 and 12, these are the thoughts that would concern me.

ladygaga01 Tue 19-Feb-19 16:23:54

Reeds School struck me as a caring, genuinely happy environment. If you can get to Clapham Junction or Wimbledon you can get there fairly easily on overland trains to Oxshott.

Is your son quite independent? Whitgift is the more academic school, but I have heard that Oxbridge entries have dropped. What sports is your son into?

Would he strive in a larger, more robust environment (W)?

centreohwill Tue 19-Feb-19 20:20:09

Thanks so much for all your points. His present prep focuses on preparing them for CE in years 7 and 8 (that’s my impression ). Thanks for highlighting the Oxshott station - I have been fixated on bus routes. I don’t really think he’s as independent as I would like yet....Having said that he’s been away at summer camp and school trips and totally loved being away from home. He even wants to try boarding (not an option for now though) . He loves rugby hockey and cricket

centreohwill Tue 19-Feb-19 20:31:34

Just to add - I think his confidence could use a boost

meeeeeeeeee Thu 21-Feb-19 09:41:18

My son is nearing the end of his time at Reeds and has loved every minute. Suited him so well as a sensitive but sporty type. Got the best out of him academically and personally, something that imo few schools achieve. Whitgift and Reeds are very different within feel and facilities, I would go for your gut instinct.

centreohwill Thu 21-Feb-19 23:11:23

Thanks for taking out time to share your thoughts - it’s been very helpful ; giving me lots to think about /consider. I will contact W during the week to see if they will let us visit as DS is undecided too and wants to see the school again. That way we can compare both again after visiting Reeds on 2nd Mar. Fingers crossed! I really appreciate your support!

Waterloo Mon 25-Feb-19 22:07:30

Hi, we had offers at both last year and went for Whitgift in the end, even though it's huge. Offers at 6 other schools too but Whitgift offers so much opportunity. My son loves it and travels every days from Richmond. Academic and sporty and actually genuinely nice guys who they've chosen to give offers to... let me know if you need any info. We loved Reeds initially and thought it was the one but found the goal posts kept changing along the way.

user1485549700 Tue 26-Feb-19 11:53:27

Waterloo could you help with a couple of questions? How did your son manage the travel? Does he get the school bus or public transport?
With so much on in terms of sport and co-curricular, how do the boys fit homework in, especially if it's a long journey?

How have you found pastoral side of things?
Thank you!!

centreohwill Fri 01-Mar-19 17:38:55

Thanks meeeeee and waterloo.

Meeeeee, I'm counting down the hours to seeing Reeds again tomorrow. Did your DS join in year 7 or 9?

Waterloo I was just about to ask if your DS joined Whitgift in year 7 as well as all the questions user1485549700 has asked. We're seeing it again on Tuesday morning.

Will be going with DS and DH - I think it will come down to gut instinct

centreohwill Thu 07-Mar-19 09:12:43

In the end we accepted Reeds. I loved whitgift and initially chose it. But when we told DS he got very upset and panicky 😱. The following morning he told DH that he definitely did not want to go to W . I hope we made the right choice and I still feel distressed by it. It’s been a rollercoaster for me emotionally.

talktoo Thu 07-Mar-19 21:34:40

I'm sure he will thrive at Reeds. It's a wonderful school

sazzy5 Thu 07-Mar-19 22:26:11

Your son will love Reeds, it’s a great school. Believe me once you start there you won’t think about W at all.

3underThree Wed 13-Mar-19 11:26:37

Hi All, we are considering Reed's for 11+ entry in 2020. I wanted to ask how the commute is from Clapham Junction ? potentially moving to Surrey but don't know when ... My daughter commutes to Woldingham and its really a non issue since they travel in bigger groups, and I see a lot of boys on the Croydon express to W and T. For Reed's I guess boys can travel from CHJ to Raynes Park and hop on the schoolbus to school ?

Prufrockspeach Fri 15-Mar-19 13:28:11

Not sure you can get there easily with public transport....the train from clapham would take you to oxshott station which is the closest but its a fair hike from there to Reeds and the roads don't all have pavement (and they are very busy roads)...check the Reeds coach route as perhaps it goes to Clapham OR perhaps it stops at oxshott station? We are not blessed with a good bus network round here unfortunately.

MumAtHomeMainly Thu 25-Apr-19 12:41:51

Just to add to this thread, the walk from Oxshott station is only ten minutes, through the woods. That sounds scary, but lots of children do it, and teachers too. It's through pine woods, past an open heath, and in lots of fresh air. If you Google the route, it takes you along the roads which is about a 40 minute walk - as the crow flies, through the woods, it's really quick.

MumAtHomeMainly Thu 25-Apr-19 12:44:07

@centreohwill so glad you've made that decision. Both schools are amazing but they are very different - Whitgift is a much larger school and is in a very different area, but in other ways they are quite similar. I think a smaller school suits our son much better and he's very happy there. Academically, I think the 2018 results were comparable - almost like-for-like for GCSE I think - but in the past Reed's has been slightly behind. I hope your son has a lovely time!

centreohwill Tue 20-Aug-19 06:53:08

Thanks so much mumathomemainly. I’m sorry I didn’t respond earlier. So encouraging to know your DS is thriving there. My son is really looking forward to starting in 2021.

OnGoldenPond Tue 01-Oct-19 21:14:34

Late to this one, but would like to pass on information re getting to Reeds on public transport.

There is a path through the woods from Oxshott station directly to Reeds which is much quicker and safer than walking along the road route. DS always used this route and he was fine, there is always a crowd of Reeds pupils taking the path morning and evenings so very safe.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »