Talk

Advanced search

WHat was the point of dd2 learning her jolly phonics sounds when she was 3, only to be on a ginn reading scheme at 4 which is not phonetic?

(13 Posts)
Enid Mon 02-Jul-07 11:32:16

yes i know reading schemes at 4 - she wanted to learn

anyway it is pants

is there agood phonetic one - jelly and bean? do they start very basically?

CodHun Mon 02-Jul-07 11:33:02

cos as i haev told oyu beofre your shcool is shit

sorry
,storkes dd2 lovingly>

singersgirl Mon 02-Jul-07 11:38:58

Think Jelly and Bean is good and starts very basically. I think you can buy black and white copies quite cheaply. Someone on here has used them. I liked the Ruth Miskin books, also phonically graded, but you used to be able to buy them in black and white, and I'm not sure you can now OUP has bought them.

Enid Mon 02-Jul-07 11:53:03

yes thank god she leaves this week

dd1s school so much better

thanks singers

frances5 Mon 02-Jul-07 11:56:25

I used jelly and bean with my son. I suggest that you buy the books rather than just the plain text. The pictures don't give away the story too much and I think nice pictures make a book more appealing to small children. It starts of really easy and build up gradually in difficulty. I found it great for building up my son's confidence.

The jolly readers are good for when your child get a bit more confident, but they do progress very rapidly. The advantage of the Jolly Readers is that they are extremely cheap. The also do non fiction, general stories as well as the inky the mouse and snake stories.

If you want some free decodable stories why don't you try www.starfall.com

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Jul-07 11:57:22

watch FIVE LIFE @ 12.10

Michael Rosen is talking about phonics

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Jul-07 12:06:46

ROSEN’S READING CLINIC
Children’s Laureate Michael Rosen will be taking your calls on anything to do with kids and books. Everything from whether to buy picture books for your babies to how to get older kids reading themselves. If you want to get your kids interested in all things literary, but don’t know how, pick up the phone.

Author Michael Rosen has his own website: here is his website

maverick Mon 02-Jul-07 16:36:26

Beware! Michael Rosen is a whole-languagephile and anti-synthetic phonics.

Don't ask him for advice on how to teach reading.

I keep a comprehensive list of decodable book schemes here: http://www.aowm73.dsl.pipex.com/dyslexics/resources_and_further_11.htm

HTH.

frances5 Mon 02-Jul-07 16:57:55

maverick,

Michael Rosen also thinks that a baby that is a week old is diliberately malipulative. Before the chat about the evils of phonics, they had a discussion about how young babies are evil liars.

The man is mad.

whiskersonkittens Mon 02-Jul-07 17:25:55

I would definitley recommend Jelly and Bean for a young reader - my 3 yr old ds started on them when he had learnt his Jolly Phonic sounds from his sister.

Both my dc's found the long vowel sounds tricky until age 4.5 when they just seemed to click so the Jelly and Bean series were excellent as these don't appear until quite late on.

I think the Ruth Miskin books are still available in black and white from the OUP website, these are good but my ds was not too impressed - dd loved them tho!

fillyjonk Mon 02-Jul-07 17:44:09

"Michael Rosen also thinks that a baby that is a week old is diliberately malipulative. Before the chat about the evils of phonics, they had a discussion about how young babies are evil liars. "

is this TRUE?

god i knew he was an annoying prat who mistook use of words like "knickers" for poetry but that goes too far.

Enid Mon 02-Jul-07 17:54:44

yes it was a shocking phone in

as I said earlier it reminded me why I never watch daytime tv

also the reading phone in was stupid and a complete waste of time

waitingforgrandchildren Mon 02-Jul-07 20:32:35

I use these books with the dyslexic kids I tutor, some of the mums use them to 'school-proof' younger siblings

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now