Talk

Advanced search

online history of England for dc

(16 Posts)
SSSandy2 Wed 27-Jun-07 16:16:07

Can someone please pass on the website for that book on the History of England. I saved the link but can't access anything. Can't remember who wrote it now. Hope someone knows what I'm talking about !

Thanks

MarieCeleste Wed 27-Jun-07 16:22:46

???????????????

No idea, SSSAndy2, but would be interested to know. Any more clues?

SSSandy2 Wed 27-Jun-07 16:25:32

sorry I know that's vague. I'd google for it if I could remember the author. Some time ago it was mentioned on a thread but no idea what the thread was about. It's not a modern book and the author is known for his novels. Perhaps it will come to me! I saved the link meaning to print it out but see the link I have doesn't work!

Desiderata Wed 27-Jun-07 16:34:09

I think you might be referring to Asa Briggs' A Social History of England.

SSSandy2 Wed 27-Jun-07 16:35:56

Thanks Desiderata, no I have that on the bookshelf actually but the one I meant here was specifically written for smaller children I think. I will try a search on the site, see if anything comes up!

Desiderata Wed 27-Jun-07 16:37:12

Ah, I see.

No, can't think of it off-hand.

SSSandy2 Wed 27-Jun-07 16:40:49

Found it on Wikipedia. It's this one by Charles Dickens:

http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/d/dickens/charles/d54ch/

Lilymaid Wed 27-Jun-07 16:44:42

Is it Our Island Story by Henrietta Marshall?

coffeepot Wed 27-Jun-07 16:46:06

Not this one?
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/marshall/england/england.html

I find this a bit dated and a bit too patriotic and imperial for my taste but a lot like it.

coffeepot Wed 27-Jun-07 16:46:43

Oops sorry - others beat me to it!

policywonk Wed 27-Jun-07 16:48:14

I think Jane Austen wrote a humorous kids' history as well, full of deliberate mistakes. Don't know whether it's online though.

SSSandy2 Wed 27-Jun-07 18:05:33

Thanks lilymaid and coffeepot. I'd never heard of that one. I'll read a couple of chapters when dd is bed.

SSSandy2 Thu 28-Jun-07 07:53:30

THanks policy for that but I don't about the deliberate errors! Dd is only 6 so wouldn't like to confuse her too much (or myself for that matter).

I quite like that our island history book. Only looked at the Celts/Romans.

Does anyone happen to know a good website for history aimed at children by any chance? I could do with some pictures/worksheets to follow things up. Maybe I should start another thread for that though...

coffeepot Thu 28-Jun-07 08:40:39

Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/websites/4_11/site/history.shtml

Dd (aged 7) loves it.

SSSandy2 Thu 28-Jun-07 08:43:44

Thanks coffeepot That looks great. I'll have a look around the site now.

SSSandy2 Mon 02-Jul-07 09:16:23

That site is brilliant coffeepot. THanks. We did the Celtic pages along with the chapters from those books.

If anyone knows any other good history sites for dc, please post them up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now