Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Grammar schools

(8 Posts)
zookeeper Mon 25-Jun-07 20:26:46

I have realised that I know nothing about education or our education system.

what's so great about grammar schools? Does everyone have to pass the 11 plus to get in? Or can you just live near to one. does the schools itself organise the 11 plus and hopeful applicants just turn up? Should I be thinking about moving nearer to one?
Ds is only 5 but his school seems so mediocre and the teachers so cynical I would hate him to end up in a similar secondary school, which has got me thinking about the future.

Honestly, I'm so ignorant I'm embarrassed to ask in RL.

babygrand Mon 25-Jun-07 20:38:22

Very few parts of the country still have an 11+ system. The ones that do exist are very competitive. You have to pass an exam, and in some cases also live as close as possible to the school. The preparations/applications start in year 5 so you've got plenty of time to find out about the local options.

MingMingtheWonderPet Mon 25-Jun-07 20:47:26

The 11plus still exists where I live (Kent) and children have to pass 11+ early in Year 6 (so as mentioned preparations have to start in Year 5) and then also live near to the Grammar school that they are hoping to get into.
Our primary school organises the 11+ and advises parents as to whether child should take the exam.

zookeeper Tue 26-Jun-07 08:27:18

thank you both

slayerette Tue 26-Jun-07 08:33:09

Also be aware that some grammar schools are private schools, not state schools - so your child would have to sit an exam to get into a selective grammar school AND you would have to pay school fees - don't assume that a school near you with 'grammar' in the title is a state school, iyswim.

zookeeper Tue 26-Jun-07 09:25:30

I had assumed that - thanks

Hallgerda Tue 26-Jun-07 09:41:09

List of grammar schools here.

Anna8888 Tue 26-Jun-07 09:43:39

zookeeper - if you want to learn about schools, go to Open Days - even of schools that you are not particularly considering. I do this here in Paris, and I have also been to the Open Day of my old grammar school in Kent.

You get lots of well-presented information and can start building a picture of what's available based on much more reliable data than word-of-mouth - though WOM can be a useful supplement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now