Talk

Advanced search

Looking for schools mid-academic year

(6 Posts)
Chapinglesa Fri 07-Dec-18 18:02:31

Not having had my kids in the UK, I'm really out of the loop on how to do things. I'm moving back to the UK from Latin America in February and need advice on how to get my boys into schools mid-term. I have two boys one primary school age and the other secondary. Ideally we would like them to go to Catholic schools. We will be living in the London Borough of Southwark (SE17). Do I have to contact the borough or the schools? Does any one have any comments on the Catholic schools in London? I'm quite worried as not only is it mid-term but we are also coming from completely out of the system. Will we have to adopt the attitude of beggars can't be choosers? I would really appreciate any pointers that anyone can give!

MarchingFrogs Fri 07-Dec-18 18:31:03

I'm not in that area, but the local authority's website is always a good place to start (not all LA's / schools deal with in-year admissions in the same way). Have a look here:

www.southwark.gov.uk/schools-and-education/school-admissions/in-year-admissions

If your younger DS would be looking for admission into an infant class (one where the children will have their 5th, 6th or 7th birthdays between September 1st and August 31st, then be aware that Infant Class Size legislation means that class sizes are capped at 30, unless certain very specific conditions apply.

Chapinglesa Fri 07-Dec-18 19:22:24

Thanks for taking the time to help - it's much appreciated!

MarchingFrogs Fri 07-Dec-18 19:38:50

smile

TeenTimesTwo Sat 08-Dec-18 07:42:57

beggars can't be choosers is approximately right though for mid year applications. You go with a school that will take you, and then go on waiting lists for ones you like better.

JoyDiva Sat 08-Dec-18 17:56:17

for me interesting too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: