Talk

Advanced search

Spellings help, dyslexia assessment and what to do.....

(10 Posts)
Ruggles Mon 18-Jun-18 17:45:14

Can anyone help advise me on how to help my son with his spellings?

DS9 finds spelling really difficult and is having a dyslexia assessment next month. There is dyslexia on both sides of our family, so it won't be a big surprise. He was a slow reader, but we've done a lot to support him and that side of things has really come on. He now reads a lot and has a wide / varied vocab.

Spelling is proving more difficult. He does all the school lists and masters new words quite easily, regularly getting full marks. We go back over old words on an ad-hoc basis. Using correct spellings in his writing is another challenge.... Partly remembering words he's already learnt and partly as there are so many words in the world and only 12 a week on school lists! He doesn't naturally pick up topic / subject specific words. He is feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all.

There are so many different lists / games / books etc, so looking for recommendations on what works etc. How do you organise what needs to be learnt and catch up without swamping or demoralising them?

Should I hold off until after his assessment? We do quite a lot at home and a friend told me I was 'nuts' as should get the assessment first - otherwise he was giving a false impression of ability and what he manages without support etc. She thinks we do too much at home. sad Does anyone have any thoughts or experience of this?

Thank you, Ruggles. smile

BasiliskStare Tue 19-Jun-18 02:17:54

My Ds is dyslexic. Got through 3 essay based A levels and just finished an essay based degree. Diagnosed at about 10 / 11 yrs old. Not sure if it is what you want to hear but I would wait until you have the assessment. If it is done well then you can then perhaps put some things into place which suit him rather than generic things.

hellokittymania Tue 19-Jun-18 02:45:39

Sarah, I was kicked off my course after failing nearly everything I did. I eventually passed two of the essays on the fourth attempt, and then got totally lost again. Still trying to get an assessment for adult learning difficulties.

OP, Just out of curiosity, can your son remember things or early? I have a hard time with writing, or coming up with any essay type things. But I do a tiny bit better orally. Can he verbally spell instead of writing?

SaltyMyDear Tue 19-Jun-18 03:15:47

I wouldn’t wait till after the assessment- you don’t diagnose dyslexia on reading and writing ability. If you did, a teacher would do it.

Spelling Tutor (http://dyslexiagold.co.uk/spellingtutor) is the best spelling intervention i’ve found.

SaltyMyDear Tue 19-Jun-18 03:17:07

dyslexiagold.co.uk/spellingtutor

mothie Tue 19-Jun-18 17:32:14

'I wouldn’t wait till after the assessment- you don’t diagnose dyslexia on reading and writing ability. If you did, a teacher would do it'

Well not really because they generally aren't qualified to do so.
The assessor will be able to recommend an intervention that meets your ds's specific needs - I would wait.

Ruggles Tue 19-Jun-18 19:37:58

Thank you everyone for you replies. I think we'll hold off for now - thinking about it, it's not long now. It's just that I'm itching to help. blush I've started to have a look at the different materials and will do some research. I quite like the book based programmes as DS likes to look back at his achievements gringrin.

WeKnowFrogsGoShaLaLaLaLa Tue 19-Jun-18 19:39:41

Who is assessing him?

BasiliskStare Tue 19-Jun-18 19:41:49

It depends if he is not very good at spelling or whether he is actually dyslexic - they are two different things. I do agree with @mothie most teachers are not trained or qualified to diagnose dyslexia - but I will be eternally grateful to the teacher who when DS was at junior school suggested we should have him tested. She spotted something. It has made his life easier since his diagnosis and I am , as I say , grateful to her. I would do that and then see what works for him given the result. Dyslexia can take various forms - no one fix. Not to say you can't do anything in the interim but I would not invest big money or time until you have scoped out the problem,

Ruggles Tue 19-Jun-18 20:57:49

Thank you, I know what you mean about spelling ability or dyslexia or something else - I wondered if had trouble remembering them. His teacher has flagged up that there might be some issues and he is being assessed by an ed psychologist who has been recommended to us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: