Talk

Advanced search

Squirrels Wimbledon vs Donhead

(7 Posts)
Martha2015 Sun 11-Feb-18 14:01:48

Hi, I am a newbie here and really would appreciate your input.

Recently my DS got an offer at both places and I would like him, if possible, prepare him to King's College Junior school.

I would like to hear from mums from both schools and any advice you may have.

Is squirrels only about learning and pushing to be best? My son is bright and loves getting to know new things but at the same time he is also loves playing (he just turned 3...!) and he is a fragile soul, needs a cuddle and reassurance sometimes so ideally I am looking for nurturing environment for him. I also read that they were some concerns about squirrels in recent years and they went through some changes...

I am really stressed and we have only few days left to make a decision.

Many thanks in advance for any replies/advices.

giardiniera Sun 11-Feb-18 16:24:09

Squirrels is great. If you think your son is in with a good shot for Kings then it's a no brainer. The changes you are talking about are years ago now, once the school came under Kings ownership, and it is a totally different place. There are plenty of other clubs and activities (the head of sports is just fantastic). Boys go onto a range of schools.
If you choose Donhead a handful do sit 7+ successfully but not many get in and you must also be prepared to do the prep yourself at home as the school won't do it for you.

Martha2015 Sun 11-Feb-18 16:34:29

Thank You for Your reply, really appreciate that. It is so difficult to say, he is only 3 (literatully turned 3 yesterday).
I am just worried that he will go to squirrels and then what if he fails the exams to Kings? Where do They go to?

carinwashingmachine Sun 11-Feb-18 19:09:12

Have you checked the leavers destinations on the school's website OP? The school publishes a comprehensive list. It seems Shrewbury House is a popular destination alongside a number of other schools.

I don't have personal experience but have heard that the teachers at Squirrels are excellent, and that any pressure tends to come from the parents! So if you're chilled about it all it should be ok..

giardiniera Sun 11-Feb-18 20:33:48

Yes - there is absolutely no pressure from or at school. Shrewsbury, Milbourne and Homefield are popular preps that leavers go on to but there are many other schools too. Squirrels gives guidance on future schools and an evening is held to meet staff and learn more about other schools to see if they appeal.

sufferingicecakes Sun 11-Feb-18 21:22:19

Kings now has an intake of 48ish boys at 11. They currently go straight into the senior school. If you are really unsure you could consider Donhead and the 11+ route. By then, you will have a better idea of the sort of boy your son is and how academic.

My DS took the Donhead till 11 route and then moved to Kings. He has loved both schools and performed really well.

Martha2015 Mon 12-Feb-18 08:12:52

Thank You Ladies, Your comments are appreciated. You are probably right that pressure comes mostly From parents. My opiniom is that every child should work to best of their Own abilities and I am not for extra tutors extra work etc. They are very young and I want him to have his childhood. He might be bright (which I think he is) and learning might come easy to him.
I Heard that They have great sport section which reassuerd me.
Oh Well Anonther 4 years of preparing packed lunches 😩😩😩

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: