Advanced search

Administrative assistant in an independent school

(18 Posts)
Justquery Sat 10-Feb-18 20:08:06

I am In the process of training in a new skill to have a career change. Preferably I would like to get into an admissions department within an independent school.
Can anyone on here offer any insightful advice on the qualifications I would need?

Ragwort Sat 10-Feb-18 20:15:08

Very niche role, why would you be so specific about this? How many independent schools do you have within a reasonable travelling distance? confused

VandelayIndustries Sat 10-Feb-18 20:19:57

It will have to be sizeable to have an admissions department.

FlexTimeCheekyFucker Sat 10-Feb-18 20:26:12

Too specific. Start in general admin in any school (most likely in the state sector). Or if you're adamant, contact your local independents.

Rodent01 Sat 10-Feb-18 20:30:07

I'm a school secretary in an independent primary school and bloody love my job, been doing it 8 years and my job is variable and fun. I too wanted admissions but they are like gold dust and in larger schools a low paid assistant role might help you get into it. Is probably more about getting into a school then transferring job.

No specific qualifications (at least most I have met have nothing in common) apart from experience in a school office, so I'd go that route.

ElleCee Sat 10-Feb-18 20:51:16

Keep an eye on the Amdis website as schools often advertise there, also ISBA website as sometimes there are admissions and admin roles on there. I don't think you need specific skills, just be highly numerate, be a good diplomat and super - organised. I made the transition to the education sector a while ago and love it. Good luck Justquery.

Justquery Sat 10-Feb-18 21:22:48

Here are many independent schools near me, I would happily do state to start off with but have a massive passion for the independent sector.
I’ve been a Housewife for 10 years now but the children are now older and I’m ready to go back to Work.
Thank you for all the replies.

FlexTimeCheekyFucker Sat 10-Feb-18 23:00:29

Massive passion for the independent sector isn't something you hear every day.

Justquery Sat 10-Feb-18 23:12:22

And yet I just said it and mean it..... each to their own 😊

Brokenbiscuit Sat 10-Feb-18 23:15:32

Why do you have a massive passion for the independent sector? How odd!

PinkAvocado Sat 10-Feb-18 23:16:47

It is very niche-ours has been here years and I imagine she will retire here too. I agree with pp, lots of experience and patience...patience waiting for a role to come up as it is rare even if there are a few near you. I’d look at individual school recruitment pages once a week or so. Good luck!

idontlikealdi Sat 10-Feb-18 23:18:35

Very niche due to the limited opportunities. I work with the ISBA who advertise ops but there aren't many.

Justquery Sun 11-Feb-18 07:24:53

Not odd at all - it is just as odd as someone who has a dislike for independent education. Its just a matter of opinion i suppose.

Unicorndiscoball Sun 11-Feb-18 07:31:26

In my experience (currnently working in 5th independent school) the admissions person/registrar works very closely with the marketing department. It’s a job with a lot of pressure-at the end of the day you are responsible for getting the numbers up, and recruiting enough people. Organising open mornings and events is hard work. All the registrars ive worked with have been women on their ‘second career’ post-children, but having been quite high powered before. You’d be expected to be immaculately turned out at all times and know every aspect of the school inside out. I’d initially go for school admin. Assistant or receptionist, learn the ropes and then see what happens. However these jobs come up rarely, there’s not much turnover as people tend to stay in these jobs for a long time.

Justquery Sun 11-Feb-18 07:42:31

Thank you Unicorndiscoball i think that is what I'm going to do. Im in an area were i am surrounded by many independent schools so I am probably best temping at first, before moving into the education sector until a suitable role comes up within the office.

Angrybird123 Mon 19-Feb-18 14:36:38

My sister is an admissions officer in an indie school. She has previously has admi jobs in higher ed. Key skills are excellent personal presentation, telephone manner, able to communicate effectively via email etc, able to keep up with detail, good IT skills 're file management, document creation / storage etc. Organisation skills for open mornings etc v important and yes working closely with the marketing / fundraising people. It helps if you've had kids go through the school so you know the systems from both sides.

Couchpotato3 Mon 19-Feb-18 14:40:56

AMDIS run qualifications in marketing and admissions - worth having a look at their website

Justquery Mon 19-Feb-18 16:16:03

Thank you couch potato . I had a look and it look a like you have to have your job within the independent school already before doing their course

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now