Talk

Advanced search

boarding schools in Devon

(39 Posts)
SandraCaroline Fri 09-Feb-18 21:20:18

Hi, I hope someone can give me some advise on boarding schools in Devon. We are a British/German family living in Germany and my son who is 15 years old loves England and would like to spend (at least) a year in a UK boarding school . He is not so much interested in the academic excellence but rather in experiencing British lifestyle, so looking for a warm and welcoming school with a high percentage of British boarders. He likes cycling and also would like the opportunity to try out golf and sailing (though this is not compulsary). He also would like to be rather close to the sea. He defenately doesn't want go live in a big city. So I looked at several webpages and Truro and Shebbear looked interesting. Does anyone know these schools or can maybe recommend a different (not so expensive) boarding school ? Any ideas would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

MarchionessOfMayhem Fri 09-Feb-18 21:23:32

Wellington School, Somerset (just over the border from Devon). Really welcoming school, lots of international boarders and good range of sports offered.

SandraCaroline Fri 09-Feb-18 21:35:22

thanks a lot. I will check that one out.

idontlikealdi Fri 09-Feb-18 23:05:42

Wellington's Dorset, if you've got the money.

MarchionessOfMayhem Sat 10-Feb-18 07:42:19

Wellington is definitely in Somerset. And it's much cheaper than a lot of boarding schools.

SwanVests Sat 10-Feb-18 07:44:39

Stover meat Newton Abbott is big on sport. It’s got a very high percentage of British students but most of the boarders are foreign, or were 15 years ago when I was there.

ineedaholidaynow Sat 10-Feb-18 08:02:43

Shebbear is a lovely school. However, most of the boarders are international not British. I think like many private schools now it is predominately a day school with a few boarders.

It is also very rural, very much in the middle of nowhere. They do organise activities for the boarders at weekends and also encourage day pupils to board occasionally especially if they are interested in taking part in these activities.

SandraCaroline Sat 10-Feb-18 09:34:10

Thanks so much for your replys. Shebbear sounds fine. We are looking for a small, cosy, relaxed school. We do need to keep an eye on our budget and I as long as the majority of the pupils /teachers are British it's ok. He just doesn't want to end up in a predominately international school. That's why we thought Devon and rural.As local as possible. As long it does not get boring at the week-ends. I have so many more questions: Do you have to be religious to go to Shebbear? Do they have Spanish as a foreign language ?Is there a possibility to play golf as a club? There seems to be a nice cycling track nearby. What happens with the boarders during vacation? thanks

Jeelba Sat 10-Feb-18 12:04:51

Well, though it’s not in the South West of England, St Felix in Southwold (Suffolk) seems to tick all your boxes. It frequently has pupils from European countries for a year. There are quite a few students from China in the sixth form as boarders; otherwise the senior school is predominantly made up of fairly local children. Lots of sporting and outdoor activities on offer.

ineedaholidaynow Sat 10-Feb-18 12:56:09

The main foreign language they teach at Shebbear is Spanish, with French as a second option.

During the short vacations the international boarders tend to stay at school eg half terms, but for the longer holidays they go home and the school will arrange transport to main airports. They can stay with friends as well. There is usually sport on Saturday mornings, with some teams playing home matches and others playing away. All pupils are encouraged to get involved with team sports.

It is a Methodist school and pupils attend chapel every day, but it is quite relaxed about religion and the chapel services aren't all about religion. (they serve alcohol to parents at social occasions so they are definitely not strict Methodists!). You don't have to be religious to attend and I assume there are a variety of religions across the pupils. One of the more diverse schools in Devon.

It is a very small school, each year only has about 30 - 40 pupils.

giardiniera Sat 10-Feb-18 21:52:20

Blundell's? I did a senior prefect leadership course there absolutely ages ago and the school was wonderful. I don't know it well but well worth a look OP.

Millymolly21 Sun 11-Feb-18 18:16:27

Have you looked at West Buckland? Certainly rural!

TonTonMacoute Sun 11-Feb-18 18:18:57

Another vote for Blundells, excellent school with a fantastic head.

Millymolly21 Sun 11-Feb-18 18:28:16

Just seen west Buckland is about £1000 a term more than Shebbear. The other North Devin school in Kingsley in Bideford. Always used to be known for its good dyslexia support .

ForTheLoveOfSleep Sun 11-Feb-18 18:33:56

Queen Elizabeth's Academy in Crediton Devon is nice.

MikeUniformMike Sun 11-Feb-18 18:35:30

Sherborne, Claysmore and Bryanston are in Dorset. All are in glorious typically English settings not far from the coast.

Millymolly21 Sun 11-Feb-18 18:37:47

Another option is State Boarding if he has a British passport.I know this is Somerset not Devon but much cheaper www.sexeys.somerset.sch.uk/admissions-process-state-boarding/fees-terms-conditions/

NewDOOFUSfor18 Sun 11-Feb-18 18:39:32

Stover is a girls school.

FlopsyMcDoodle Sun 11-Feb-18 18:46:06

It’s not been a girls school for about 10 years

WindyWednesday Sun 11-Feb-18 18:49:12

Stover has not been a girls school since about 1994.

WindyWednesday Sun 11-Feb-18 18:51:24

Stover does have Uk boarders, of course it does,

BrieAndChilli Sun 11-Feb-18 18:56:24

I went to Kingsley School in Biddeford in north Devon. I was a boarder (it was edgehill college back then but it’s since merged with another boarding school)
No idea what it’s like now although several of my friends from School who still live there have sent thier kids there. Was a high population of boarders from Hong Kong but the majority of students were day pupils.
We were able to walk into town, so not isolated. School also did coach trips to bigger places.

NewDOOFUSfor18 Sun 11-Feb-18 18:58:00

Ah my mistake, sorry, I left school in 1997 and it was then blush

TheVanguardSix Sun 11-Feb-18 18:58:17

millfieldschool.com/

Millfield is in Somerset, OP. I've only ever heard wonderful feedback from parents of students, as well as old Millfieldians (including DH, who has such incredibly happy memories of his time there).

BrieAndChilli Sun 11-Feb-18 19:00:17

At 15 he will be allowed to walk into town (with another pupil), go to friends houses who are local etc with your permission. We used to go for Milkshakes at wimpy!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: