Talk

Advanced search

Not satisfied with child’s school

(5 Posts)
Anon8989 Fri 09-Feb-18 00:14:16

Hi I’m new to this and not sure if I’m in the right department, anyway let me begin my daughter was diagnosed with ADHD about 18 months ago, she was referred through the school.i will give as much info as I can, she is in primary school and I’ve recently discovered that my daughter has been bullied by a few students in the year above her, calling her names and there was an incident that happened a couple of years ago involving the same students, which I have only just found out the school itself never informed me of this incident, as soon as I found all of this out I was in the principals office the very next morning expressed my concerns (this was 3 weeks ago now) I was called into the school that same afternoon for the outcome of my concerns, I was told that the students involved have been spoken to and that they will not bother her anymore,since then I have found out the same students are still name calling, and laughing at her whenever they pass her, since I had my meeting my child’s behaviour has changed at home and at school, her personality hasn’t changed thankfully she’s still the same crazy bubbly little character but her behaviour has changed anyone with a child with ADHD knows it is hard enough to get them
To settle and concentrate as it is, the past 3 weeks she hasn’t been working well at school has been sent out of her class a few times and isn’t doing any work, I sat her down on the weekend (the weekend just passed) had a little chat, so this past week she has been trying to work harder at school, every time I pick her up I always ask her about her day, but I never much out of her, anyway this past week I have found out that she has been trying to work harder, some of the work is hard so she has been asking for teachers help, but my child’s teacher has done nothing for her, I am friends with other mothers from children in the same class as my daughter, and these children (my daughters friends) have been the ones to inform me what goes on in the classroom, that my daughter has been ignored by this teacher when asking for help and with her having ADHD she physically cannot sit still so she rocks her chair, which today I found out that’s what she’s been doing this week and because she has been rocking her chair the teacher has taken away her chair. So I asked her today what’s been going on and only because I asked her she told me the teacher has done this and for the past two days she’s been going to school and being made to sit on the floor I am outraged because my child explained that other students do the same thing but they have not had their chairs taken, my child is asking for help that she isn’t getting she is being physically ignored by this teacher or being asked to sit back down, I understand that she isn’t the only student the teacher has to deal with but she’s asking for help, isn’t that suppose a teachers job to make sure all students get the right help and education that they need and deserve, since my first meeting every morning I get her up from school she doesn’t want to go to school, she will either go back to sleep or complain of some sort of illness to try and get a day off, after hearing today what her teacher has been up to this week I am truly outraged and disgusted, I am going into the office again tomorrow again to express my feelings about all this, I won’t be sending her in to her class tomorrow she will be coming home with me after my meeting, but I’m trying to get more info or has anyone else had a similar experience with their child’s school, I feel if it isn’t sorted then I will not be sending her into school (luckily enough it’s half term next week) so she gets a break at least, I really don’t know what to do about this any advice or info will be greatly appreciated as I feel I should this further than the school. Many thanks

TeenTimesTwo Fri 09-Feb-18 13:27:08

Hi I’m new to this and not sure if I’m in the right department, anyway let me begin

my daughter was diagnosed with ADHD about 18 months ago, she was referred through the school.i will give as much info as I can, she is in primary school and

I’ve recently discovered that my daughter has been bullied by a few students in the year above her, calling her names and there was an incident that happened a couple of years ago involving the same students, which I have only just found out the school itself never informed me of this incident,

as soon as I found all of this out I was in the principals office the very next morning expressed my concerns (this was 3 weeks ago now) I was called into the school that same afternoon for the outcome of my concerns, I was told that the students involved have been spoken to and that they will not bother her anymore, <but> since then I have found out the same students are still name calling, and laughing at her whenever they pass her,

since I had my meeting my child’s behaviour has changed at home and at school, her personality hasn’t changed thankfully she’s still the same crazy bubbly little character but her behaviour has changed

anyone with a child with ADHD knows it is hard enough to get them
To settle and concentrate as it is, the past 3 weeks she hasn’t been working well at school has been sent out of her class a few times and isn’t doing any work,

I sat her down on the weekend (the weekend just passed) had a little chat, so this past week she has been trying to work harder at school, every time I pick her up I always ask her about her day, but I never much out of her, anyway this past week I have found out that she has been trying to work harder, some of the work is hard so she has been asking for teachers help, but my child’s teacher has done nothing for her,

I am friends with other mothers from children in the same class as my daughter, and these children (my daughters friends) have been the ones to inform me what goes on in the classroom, that my daughter has been ignored by this teacher when asking for help and with her having ADHD she physically cannot sit still so she rocks her chair, which today I found out that’s what she’s been doing this week and because she has been rocking her chair the teacher has taken away her chair. So I asked her today what’s been going on and only because I asked her she told me the teacher has done this and for the past two days she’s been going to school and being made to sit on the floor

I am outraged because my child explained that other students do the same thing but they have not had their chairs taken, my child is asking for help that she isn’t getting she is being physically ignored by this teacher or being asked to sit back down,

I understand that she isn’t the only student the teacher has to deal with but she’s asking for help, isn’t that suppose a teachers job to make sure all students get the right help and education that they need and deserve,

since my first meeting every morning I get her up from school she doesn’t want to go to school, she will either go back to sleep or complain of some sort of illness to try and get a day off, after hearing today what her teacher has been up to this week I am truly outraged and disgusted, I am going into the office again tomorrow again to express my feelings about all this, I won’t be sending her in to her class tomorrow she will be coming home with me after my meeting,

but I’m trying to get more info or has anyone else had a similar experience with their child’s school, I feel if it isn’t sorted then I will not be sending her into school (luckily enough it’s half term next week) so she gets a break at least, I really don’t know what to do about this any advice or info will be greatly appreciated as I feel I should this further than the school. Many thanks

TeenTimesTwo Fri 09-Feb-18 13:30:28

OP. hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of putting in some paragraphs to make it easier to read.

I would definitely ask for a meeting with the school. You may find it helpful to bullet a few key points before you go and also what you want resolved.

e.g.
- reported bullying, was told it was resolved, but still ongoing. quote examples
- teacher removing child's chair (unacceptable)
- teacher not giving your child support
- change in child's behaviour

- chair replaced
- bullying addressed again by more than just words (eg missed playtime)
- additional TA support

Onceuponatimethen Fri 09-Feb-18 23:08:55

Has your dd got any written instructions from the tune of her dx with adhd about what school should do to support her? Eg I know sometimes students have wobble cushions to sit on? If not maybe yo can ask the team that dx her for some guidance for school.

Does she have an Ehcp? If not you should consider applying for one to get her needs Noted and support given

The contact a family helpline are very good on sen issues and may well be able to help.

Definitely request a termly senco meeting where targets should be agreed for each term for your dd

flowersop I know how stressful it is

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 10-Feb-18 16:17:11

Rocking on her chair is dangerous so she does need a replacement activity. However, removing her chair is not appropriate- it's humiliating and stops her accessing her work properly.

There are lots of things her school can try to curtail the rocking:
wobble cushion
elastic strap to put her feet on
wobble board to put her feet on
a zuma school rocking chair (these are expensive but really good)
gym ball to sit on
frequent short movement breaks away from her desk

Go in and ask which of the above they have tried and if none, when they will be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now