Talk

Advanced search

Phonics cards

(10 Posts)
purpleme12 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:27:40

My 4 year old hasn't started school yet. I've been given some phonics flashcards. I was just wondering when to start using them? I mean do I wait till she knows all her letters of the alphabet (I mean recognise them?) Is that the usual process with these things?

Norestformrz Fri 09-Feb-18 06:55:38

Personally I wouldn't use flash cards but if you choose to then they are a tool to teach her to recognise the symbols we call letters and how they represent speech sounds. Whatever you do avoid teaching letter names.

purpleme12 Fri 09-Feb-18 12:17:15

Oh why wouldn't you use flashcards? And what do you mean by letter names?

Vibe2018 Fri 09-Feb-18 12:25:17

She'll be bored in school when they're learning them there.

There is no benefit in starting now.

GreenTulips Fri 09-Feb-18 12:28:09

Look at letters and sounds on line for game

For example C is said see as opppsed to c said K if that makes sense
CH is in church

Letters and sounds give you the order schools teach

SATPIN - moves on to j w zzz etc

Then SH CH

Norestformrz Sat 10-Feb-18 18:14:33

Letter names Ay, Bee, See, Dee etc

It's unlikely she'll be bored if you teach her now but I'd follow her lead.

purpleme12 Sat 10-Feb-18 21:15:15

To be honest I don't even know if we'll get to this stage before school but just thinking.

So by letter names you just mean normal letters like how we would normally say the letters? If so I haven't been doing that anyway.

And she's not this massively academic child (not the right word for her age but your see what I'm getting at) so I don't think she'll be advanced or bored at school.

But should we only introduce phonics when she does recognise all the letters? Make sure we do that first I'm guessing?

Hannahfftl Sat 10-Feb-18 21:18:02

Phonics is recognising the letters.
She will look at the s on the card and make the sound sssss.
I work in reception and do a lot of phonics and would honestly say leave it. It's harder to undo different methods than to just start fresh.

Norestformrz Sat 10-Feb-18 21:35:43

She doesn't need to recognise any letters to begin phonics.

VandelayIndustries Sat 10-Feb-18 21:39:13

If you can’t do the pure synthetic sounds yourself, and you can learn them off the internet if you want to, then don’t do it at all. Knowing them when they start school is no advantage as they will be learning them there anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now