Talk

Advanced search

Time to complete GCSE maths?

(6 Posts)
jawdropping Tue 06-Feb-18 21:37:02

Can anyone please advise how long it would take to do gcse maths via distance learning? Looking to achieve above C grade. Thanks

Lazylouse Tue 06-Feb-18 21:40:26

No idea for distance learning, but you need a grade 4 (old C) or 5 (high C/low B) now. Best to find out which grade you need for your purposes.

CorbettMaths website can teach you all the bits you need to know as a starting point.

jaimelannistersgoldenhand Tue 06-Feb-18 21:40:59

Also depends on your current maths level?

jawdropping Tue 06-Feb-18 22:01:48

Thanks for your responses. I haven't done maths for a long time. Was pretty good at maths in high school but due to circumstances at the time I didn't get the grade. I have lots of level 3 qualifications, level 4 and 5 also, just missing one gcse above grade C.

evenstrangerthings Wed 07-Feb-18 04:59:49

Try a foundation and a higher past paper to gauge what you'd get if you say the paper today. You can find them on the Edexcel website. Then figure out which topics you need to focus on to get the grade. You might be surprised how little you need to cover.

GiveMePrivacy Thu 08-Feb-18 00:29:19

All depends how much time you are prepared to put into it. Home educated children often do this in one academic year or less. I've known several who have just focused for 3 or 4 months and got a C.

I wouldn't bother with distance learning for this though, as maths is easy to do with textbooks, free online resources etc. While distance learning is great for subjects where you need individualised feedback, for maths people tend to slip up in similar and predictable ways & you can waste a lot of time waiting for a tutor to mark your homework, when a computer could have done it instantly. You could use an online course like Conquer Maths, which is on subscription and iirc is about £10 a month. You've already had a recommendation to the excellent Corbett Maths. Another great value option is CGP Maths Buster, which is only about £12. It's an online maths program which gives you tests to find out your strengths and weaknesses, then gives you practice where you need it. You get instant access. See www.cgpbooks.co.uk.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: