Talk

Advanced search

Private primary (co-ed) schools around Woking

(11 Posts)
teaspoon66 Tue 06-Feb-18 09:47:17

I'm considering moving my daughter at Year 3 from her current school and have been looking at Greenfield and Hall Grove. I would really like to find a flexible school that isn't too pressured (she's currently at a very competitive prep). She's outgoing, chatty and likes to move around a lot which means she doesn't quite fit into the environment she is currently in. She's been offered a place at Feltonfleet but, as amazing as they seem, I'm concerned that they could be very similar to the school she's at. Does anyone have any views on Greenfield or Hall Grove? I'm concerned, looking at the future schools for Hall Grove, that the children going there come from very wealthy families. By no stretch of the imagination could we be described as wealthy.

susieswing65 Tue 06-Feb-18 17:01:13

There is also St Andrew's which has been great for DN. There is lots of sport and fun, she did not fit in a hot house school either. There are lots of normal families there.

teaspoon66 Tue 06-Feb-18 17:44:28

Thanks for replying. I haven't actually considered St Andrews as I've heard that they are very boy heavy. We have had four girls move from St Andrew's to my daughter's year group (three in her class and one in the other form) because there weren't enough girls. I've heard it's a very caring school though. I believe Hoe Bridge is the same, I do have a friend with children there and they all really love the school.

GU24Mum Tue 06-Feb-18 21:09:52

Hello, I assume your daughter is at a girls' school close to St Andrew's..... Which side of Woking do you live ie closer to Chobham or to Guildford? Most of the Prep schools gear up in KS2 as they start looking at getting the children ready for 11+ so most are likely to feel reasonably intensive at least by Y5 I'd have thought. What are you aiming for at 11? Have you looked at Ripley Court? From what I know, it's good but is a bit more "quirky". Rydes Hill is all-girls but small and friendly from what I hear.

teaspoon66 Fri 09-Feb-18 12:57:31

We're on the Chobham side of Woking. I haven't been round either of those schools but am really looking for co-ed and as Rydes Hill only has boys at KS1 I don't think it's the right school for us. I haven't looked at Ripley Court - would you recommend it?

Mumtogremlins Sat 10-Feb-18 19:51:20

I think most co-ed prep schools will have slightly more boys than girls in the Woking area as a lot of girls go to Halstead. Hoe Bridge is very competitive from what I hear from a lot of different people, particularly in sport. Hall Grove does attract a lot more wealthy people, not sure what Ripley is like, but St Andrews good pastorally and is very 'normal'. But you would have to decide on the boy girl ratio

Hopeful201 Sat 10-Feb-18 21:24:46

We had two go through Greenfield and have nothing other than praise for the school. Generally there are slightly more boys than girls but they seem to mix well. The pastoral care is excellent. The school has improved its spot over the years. It is renowned for its music and drama which many children get scholarships in. It is also very good academically and has done very well over the last few years.
The parents are very normal, most are working parents and very down to earth. Good luck in your search.

GU24Mum Sun 11-Feb-18 11:49:12

If you're the Chobham side, Ripley is probably a bit far. The co-eds mostly seem to be boy heavy. I looked round pretty much all for DD1 a few years ago and the only one of the Woking co-eds which didn't feel like a boys' school which took girls was Greenfield. Basically, the rest of them used to be boys' schools (I don't know about Greenfield). Ultimately you may need to weigh up atmosphere against the other choice of too many/no boys.

Mumtogremlins Sun 11-Feb-18 12:48:57

I'd go and visit Greenfield and St Andrews as they are probably the closest to you. Not much fun trying to get to Ripley or Felton Fleet in the morning. I know girls are well looked after at St Andrews and they are keen to attract more

Mumtogremlins Mon 12-Feb-18 14:02:13

Depending on what secondary schools you have in mind, St George's Junior School is another option. Or other girls schools which have junior schools - St Teresas, Tormead

surreymum734 Tue 13-Feb-18 14:48:33

As a mum to an extremely happy DD at St Andrew's for several years, I echo what mumtogremlins says - girls are looked after really well.

It's a well-established co-ed school and DD has lots of boy and girl friends. There are more boys than girls but there are loads of girls too. Best to visit to find out for yourself.

People move schools for lots of reasons. We did view another local school but the class sizes were too small. DD is a sensitive, gentle child and St Andrew's has been a great choice for us.

Also good advice to look at schools that go all the way through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now