Talk

Advanced search

Choosing Economics or Further Maths for A level?

(17 Posts)
Cherrytree2016 Sun 04-Feb-18 12:01:28

My DD, currently Y11 and considering doing medicine at the Uni., she couldn't decide whether to take Economics or Further Maths for her A level, as she enjoys and is good at both subjects. She has already chosen Maths, Chemistry, and Biology. Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated! Thanks.

BeesAndChiscuits Sun 04-Feb-18 12:18:56

Further maths. Two reasons:
1. Earning power. Increases with level of mathematics qualifications. Whereas economics A Level isn’t even a requirement for an economics degree.
2. Economics is an essay subject. Long, open-ended pieces of work. If she got an A* at GCSE then there’s a good chance she’ll find the Further Maths workload lighter than any of her other A levels.

Cherrytree2016 Sun 04-Feb-18 15:52:33

Many thanks, BeesAndChiscuits. Your comments are very helpful and convincing!

catslife Sun 04-Feb-18 16:24:07

Economics could open more options if she changes her mind though. Having an essay subject alongside Sciences shows a greater breadth imo.

CookieDoughKid Sun 04-Feb-18 17:15:55

Agree with further maths. The creme de la creme of companies and career options will be at her feet!

BroccoliOnTheFloor Sun 04-Feb-18 17:25:09

I would always say do as much maths and hard science as possible. It's easy to learn economics if you know more maths.

LoniceraJaponica Sun 04-Feb-18 17:30:37

Another point of view:
DD is applying for medicine. Some universities like a non science subject as an A level alongside the science subjects because it shows breadth of education. Also all the medical schools we looked at class maths and further maths as one subject, so if your daughter starts with 4 subjects then drops down to 3 she will need to drop a maths subject. They won't accept chemistry plus maths and further maths. They will only accept further maths as a 4th A level.

HappyHippyHippo Mon 05-Feb-18 20:38:45

If she is fairly set on medicine I say economics. It will be more useful- there are essays to be written in medicine and the people who haven’t done this since GCSE usually struggle much more. Also medicine is a real ‘all rounder’ qualification so better to develop (and show) breadth.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 05-Feb-18 20:45:06

Further maths would allow her more time for volunteering stuff if she needs to do that.

sallythesheep73 Mon 05-Feb-18 22:31:04

Further maths.

LoniceraJaponica Mon 05-Feb-18 22:39:58

I think you should read this link from the Medic Portal.
Some medical schools don't want further maths. Other medical schools state that subjects with overlapping content are often not considered – or only considered as one. This includes Maths and Further Maths.

In view of that I would go with economics.

Kitten I'm curious to know why doing further maths would allow more time for work experience. At DD's school the students doing further maths along with 3 other level subjects really struggled with the workload.

ProfessorLayton1 Mon 05-Feb-18 23:11:02

Can she not start both and see what she likes?

Aftershock15 Mon 05-Feb-18 23:30:49

Is she really intending to take all 4 to A level? Dc school which is always high in the league tables (so pretty academic) and gets lots of kids into medicine/oxbridge really doesn’t encourage 4 anymore unless one is further maths.

As to which one to take - she will need to research the medical schools that interest her and see what their selection criteria are. As pp have pointed out, there is no one solution that will be right for all medical schools.

ProfessorLayton1 Mon 05-Feb-18 23:49:59

All you need is biology and chemistry. Medical colleges are not really fussed about what you take as 3rd/ 4th subjects
It is easy if she knows that she definitely want to do medicine but otherwise makes sense to keep Maths and further maths.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 06-Feb-18 08:32:07

if they get it Lonicera and it's given enough curriculum time to be taught the material it doesn't seem to take up much extra. An essay subject sounds like it would take loads of time.

However.... I've just remembered, that's old A level FM. I don't actually know with the new one. So ignore me!

LoniceraJaponica Tue 06-Feb-18 19:29:37

If I recall correctly your daughter is exceptionally gifted in maths Kitten The students at DD's school who are having to devote a lot of time to maths and further maths aren't as gifted, and TBH the maths teacher isn't that good. DD had him for GCSE and couldn't follow him, so I ended up sending her to a tutor. She ended up with a very respectable A* in iGCSE maths in the January of year 11.

I think the Medic Portal gives the best advice and, having sat through quite a few medicine subject talks, I would only do further maths as a fourth A level if doing maths as well. A levels in chemistry, maths and further maths won't gain entry into medical school.

Cherrytree2016 Wed 14-Feb-18 17:59:58

Thanks you all for your comments and suggestions, which I found very helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now