Talk

Advanced search

OCR Computer Science GCSE

(12 Posts)
polkydot Sun 21-Jan-18 14:15:03

Can anyone advise me about this GCSE? For a very academic child.

HardAsSnails Sun 21-Jan-18 14:19:10

Ds is doing this, he loves it, it was described as a very challenging GCSE and at his school only pupils in top set maths were able to choose it as an option.

AuntieStella Sun 21-Jan-18 14:23:05

The new spec CompSci exams have a very good syllabus, and are set to have a completely different reputation to the old ICT type ones.

If your DC is interested in it, then it's a good choice.

TheSecondOfHerName Mon 22-Jan-18 19:01:49

DS2 (Y11) is finding the course fairly straightforward, he is hoping to get a grade 8. He worked v.hard on the NEA, so it's a bit disappointing that it won't be counted towards the grade.

DS3 (Y9) has just started the course and loves it.

sashh Tue 23-Jan-18 06:51:20

Yes it is academic, it counts as a science along with double/triple science and physics, chemistry and biology.

it is NOT ICT. It is ideal for a logical, maths liking child.

bluemosquito Tue 23-Jan-18 06:54:30

Very academic ds here and he says it’s quite challenging and that a few have dropped it as they took it at an easy option and it isn’t. State grammar

bluemosquito Tue 23-Jan-18 06:55:49

Yep. Agree it’s very mathsy. I’ve been quite surprised at some of the content

ncsmummy Tue 23-Jan-18 06:59:32

DS is in year 11 and this was one of his options. He too was disappointed about the assessment not counting to his final grade after all his hard work but beyond that he is really enjoying it. It is a good choice for an academic child and totally different to ict

Ifailed Tue 23-Jan-18 07:09:14

Looked at the spec briefly, it looks like the old O level Computer Science I took in the 70s

PersianCatLady Tue 23-Jan-18 09:49:48

I have an interview for a Computer Science PGCE on Friday so I wanted to go through the GCSE syllabus myself.

The school I am going to on Friday doesn't use OCR but here is a link to the new OCR GCSE Computer Science syllabus -
www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-computer-science-j276-from-2016/

i386 Mon 05-Feb-18 13:27:53

(Disclaimer: I teach CS at a decent school)

The new GCSE computer science is a balanced and well-rounded curriculum. Highly recommended for all kids who do not struggle with basic maths (or, likewise, do not struggle with basic language skills).

Prior to join the teaching rank I had some extensive industrial experiences in mathematical modelling and programming. What I could see is that programming/coding is increasingly becoming a must-have skill similar to a natural language (say English) and maths. A natural language enables you to communicate with humans and societies, and maths enable you to think in abstract and models. Computer science (or let's put it this way, programming) sits right in the middle and joins the both worlds, enabling one to put models into real-world use. No doubt that it is now popular with almost every job under the sun.

As to the GCSE CS curriculum, there's also a fair amount of general knowledge on computing or the 'cyber'-sides of things but these can really be crammed in less than a week. The lion's share in the examination, is still programming. Your children will find the coding bit of the curriculum most challenging, while rewarding.

If your children learn CS the right way, it actually helps them to improve their mathematics and physics to say the least. Also we don't expect every kid to go onto a career at Google or Microsoft, but all of the future lawyers, production workers, doctors, musicians, artists will be expected to have computational thinking skills and know how to script up their workflow adequately using a versatile language like Python. GCSE computer science is set up exactly with the thoughts of that, whereas A-level computing course is still quite focused on people who want to take up CS degrees at uni.

polkydot Wed 07-Feb-18 09:51:41

Sorry for the delay replying, these have been really helpful responses, thank you. I’ve had a look at the syllabus and that has allayed my concerns. He doing triple science and is very much interested in maths/science subjects so has applied to do this as well. Apparently it is an oversubscribed choice at his school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now