Talk

Advanced search

English vs Welsh education?

(6 Posts)
Thisandthat2017 Sat 13-Jan-18 07:14:02

We are considering moving to Swansea. My children are currently in Ofsted outstanding schools in England, yr 5 and yr 7. The school in wales that we would send them to is Estyn Excellent. However, I am told the education in Wales is not as good as England and that the children will leave school with a sub standard education. Is there any truth to this? Does anyone have any evidence either way that can help me make this tough decision? Tia.x

Berthatydfil Sat 13-Jan-18 07:36:12

Giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you aren’t an anti welsh troll Well I’m sure that there are many people who would find what you have said totally offensive and vehemently disagree.
Who “told you” this fact about the sub standard Welsh education system? What evidence did they provide to back it up?
If this were true there would be no welsh students being admitted to oxbridge or Russel group unis, no welsh educated doctors lawyers accountants dentists pharmacists etc.
It’s a totally ridiculous thing to say with no evidence or grounding.
Yes welsh education is different, and is getting more different with respect to ks4 and post 16. Yes there’s no grammar schools, yes there’s compulsory welsh. Yes there are poor schools but there are outstanding schools too. But those differences are not necessarily bad or give lower standards it’s just different.

Chose your schools carefully - with the age your children are I wouldn’t delay moving if you are going to do it.

lolalotta Sat 13-Jan-18 11:07:30

I was educated in a Welsh secondary school, the only thing I found frustrating was learning Welsh, I wasn't particularly fussed about languages and I kept on dreaming of the textiles lessons or arty things I could have been doing if I were in England! Welsh may not be part of the curriculum in Swansea mind.

DullAndOld Sat 13-Jan-18 11:11:24

i think there is less money spent per student in Wales than in England. This is not anti Welsh trollery I promise.
I have had two children go through school in Wales and I cant say that I was impressed.
On the other hand, I don't suppose anyone was impressed with my children either..grin

DullAndOld Sat 13-Jan-18 11:12:56

oh and the time spent pushing Welsh as a subject.
My daughter was told she was too stupid to learn French or Spanish but had to do Welsh. At the end of five years all she could say was 'dwin hoffi ceffalau'. ( I like horses).

Kokeshi123 Sat 13-Jan-18 11:50:47

"the children will leave school with a sub standard education." is an overgeneralization. Of course every school is different.

However, Wales is consistently the most underperforming country in the UK, and is about to bring in a wishy-washy-looking curriculum based on Scotland's (dire) Curriculum for Excellence.

I personally would delay the move as long as possible and consider private schools if that is an affordable option and if there are any with a decent and rigorous curriculum (it's likely to be cheaper in Wales than in most parts of England). If not, I'd be prepared to do some tutoring.

Welsh medium done well and from a reasonably early age can be great, but if your kids are already Yr 5 and Yr 7, I'd stick to English medium.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now