Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendations for 10 year old boy

(28 Posts)
Mumski45 Fri 12-Jan-18 11:50:33

Hi
I am looking for some book recommendations for my son who loves to read and is costing me a fortune. I bought him a kindle for Xmas so its a little easier now as I can download some free books. However I am looking for something to catch his attention but which will not be too old for him.
To give an idea of what he likes he has read and enjoyed the following series:
Cherubs
Hendersons boys
Harry Potter
Stoneheart
Gone
Hunger Games
The five realms

He is now starting to ask for more adult books but I am trying to find more young adult and teenage fiction.
Thanks.

irvineoneohone Fri 12-Jan-18 11:57:52

Also have recently turned 10 year old boy. Watching with interest!

Seeline Fri 12-Jan-18 12:03:20

Alex Rider
Young James Bond
Artimis Fowl
His Dark Materials
Percy Jackson

Also try some Agatha Christie?

AcerTree Fri 12-Jan-18 12:38:58

Over the course of Yrs 5-7 my DS really enjoyed:

The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The Trials of Apollo (2 books so far) by Rick Riordan
The Land of Stories (6 books) by Chris Colfer
The Bartimaeous Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
Septimus Heap (7 books) by Angie Stroud
The Emerald Atlas: The Books of Beginning (Triology) by John Stephens
Belgariad (5 books) by David Eddings
Malloreon (5 books) by David Eddings
The Inheritance Cycle (3 books) by Christopher Paolini

itstheyearzero Fri 12-Jan-18 12:42:38

Is he a member of your local library? Ours offers an ebook service using an app called Overdrive. It might be an option for him because the Kindle Unlimited selection is not great to be honest.

My D'S likes Michael Morpurgo, especially his books relating to war!

Fruitloopcowabunga Fri 12-Jan-18 12:45:23

These are huge favourites with DS 12
Helen Moss's books - adventure island might be a bit young for him (though DS and 10 year old DD love them) but not the Secrets of the Tombs
Peter Jay Black Urban Outlaws series
Mark Walden's HIVE series
Eoin Colfer's WARP series
Jasper Fforde Dragon Slayer series
Kevin Sand The Blackthorn Key
Try some of the classics too - I know lots who adore Swallows and Amazons, 101 Dalmatians etc

eddiemairswife Fri 12-Jan-18 12:52:28

I'm quite surprised that so many parents ask about books their children might like. At the age of 10 I was a frequent library visitor, and was perfectly able to choose books for myself My children were the same; it is only since they became adults that we recommend books to each other.

sparklepops123 Fri 12-Jan-18 12:54:08

Diary of a wimpy kid , David Walliams books, tom gates

irvineoneohone Fri 12-Jan-18 13:04:57

eddie, my ds is actually capable of choosing books, we visit library every week. But he has very skewed choice, and I am foreign. I really don't have any knowledge in selection of books he may like, and there are so many books.
These threads are very useful for someone like me.

Fruitloopcowabunga Fri 12-Jan-18 13:35:46

I too like to ask for recommendations and to share ours! Our local libraries have now adopted the Waterstones-style hand-written recommendation cards and I love this too. Particularly with boys, I find they can be easily put off by a book's cover/blurb and might therefore miss a book they'd love. DS might not admit it to his friends but he's really enjoyed quite a lot of Jacqueline Wilson's books and also Sophie Cleverley's Scarlet and Ivy stories (which have very girly covers but that's a whole other thread...) while DD picks up things like Jacqueline Wilson and Cathy Cassidy in the library but reads Bear Grylls at home. Don't think your comment is helpful eddie.

TheSteveMilliband Fri 12-Jan-18 13:59:56

Alex Rider books, DS is currently rattling through them! Frank cottrell Boyce, michael morpurgo,
The hobbit, maybe start terry Pratchett? DS has also discovered the moomin books and is loving them.

I love these threads, great for picking up some new ideas. I think it's hard sometimes for kids to pick books out at the library as there's so much choice. DS will either come home with yet another beast quest or something he gets bored with and doesn't finish so is great to find books he will love. Alex rider has been great and really got him back into voracious reading again - you can usually get these cheap as a whole set (£10ish for set of 10 books) or at the library.

sweetmelody Fri 12-Jan-18 14:08:13

Dragon Rider and Griffins Feather by Cornelia Funke

Mumski45 Fri 12-Jan-18 14:44:58

Thanks for all the suggestions this is great and lots for me to look at.

Unfortunately we don't have a good local library due to council cut backs. I will however look into the overdrive service. The kindle prime selection for his age range is tiny.

And to those who mention it yes he is capable of choosing books for himself and often does but he is constantly choosing the most expensive ones (even in the kindle version some are upwards of £5-£10 each). He also tends to go for things that may have unsuitable adult content which I am trying to avoid.

Titsywoo Fri 12-Jan-18 14:48:24

My DS is currently reading the inkheart series which he is really enjoying and I think we'll move onto the hunger games next.

AcerTree Fri 12-Jan-18 15:12:04

I often buy kids books 2nd hand on Amazon.

ClaudiaD13 Fri 12-Jan-18 15:38:29

My 10 year old is massively into Percy Jackson. He also loved The Wizards of Once by Cressida Cowell. He enjoys books by David Walliams too.

As for choosing for himself from a library - he has read all the books in the local library which opens one afternoon a week.

Doobydoo Fri 12-Jan-18 15:41:37

My son enjoyed Fluke by James Herbert.I am finding it difficult to find books now.

Doobydoo Fri 12-Jan-18 15:44:59

My ds has read loads of the books on here and i think it is a great thread....i think a pp said they can get put off by cover or blurb.

Doobydoo Fri 12-Jan-18 15:47:01

..sorry posted too soon. Ds gets put off by cover/blurb sometimes ....i encourage him to read a few snippets as well.I think it is tricky when they want more adult books. Fluke was a start for us....ds cried!

sparklepops123 Fri 12-Jan-18 15:53:25

Look on - the book people- they do books for great prices, I’ve also bought audio books off here that my son listens to in bed

CrashBangWollop Fri 12-Jan-18 16:11:39

Tom Gates
Alex Ryder
Darren Shan Saga

Justkeepleft Fri 12-Jan-18 16:18:13

Magnus chase by the same author as Percy Jackson. Ds loves the humour

marytuda Sat 13-Jan-18 17:33:37

My 10 year old, sometimes voracious reader, has enjoyed (in addition to Harry Potter, David Walliams and others mentioned above):

Frank Cottrell Boyce: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang sequels plus Framed, Cosmic, Millions and Broccoli Boy.
David Baddiel, Person Controller
Terry Pratchett stories, something about dragons.
Sam Gayton, His Majesty's Whiskers (or something!)

I picked up Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner for him, after reading rave recommendations on similar Mumsnet thread. It looked linguistically easy, but though it is a brilliant book, you'd have to be a precocious 10 year old to stomach the content. My DS was scandalised by the swear words as well as baffled by the very brutal dystopia it portrays . .. Still if OPs DS can handle The Hunger Games . . .. . . For us, one to re-read later.

VanillaSugarGlider Sat 13-Jan-18 17:41:08

Stig of the Dump
The Otterbury Incident
The boy in the striped pyjamas
How to be Topp by N Molesworth
Yes to Agatha Christie
The fault in our stars
Patrick Ness books
Try him on Nicholas Nickleby as that is quite accessible Dickens. NOT Oliver Twist though.

Norestformrz Sat 13-Jan-18 18:12:00

Time travelling with a hamster
The graveyard book
A girl called Owl
Knights of the borrowed dark
Ned's circus of marvels
The last wild
Lockwood and co
The nowhere emporium
The girl of ink and stars
Letters from The lighthouse
The explorer
The girl who drank the moon
The wizards of once
Beetle boy
The uncommoners
Cogheart

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now