Talk

Advanced search

St.Paul's Juniors 8+ interview

(5 Posts)
Harishani Fri 12-Jan-18 01:42:33

Hello, I'm desperately looking for advice from anyone who might have knowledge on what the interview process is like at SPJ for 8+.

We live in Hampshire and my son attends a state primary. He miraculously got through the 8+ exams and has been called back for an interview. His teachers have no idea how the process works. I worked with him at home and thrilled he has gotten through the first hurdle.

Please would you be able to advice us on what to expect at the interview? I'm so worried and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Dosdos Fri 12-Jan-18 13:05:44

Hi Harishani. Congratulations! My son sat the 8+ last year and he is now at SPS. From what I recall my son was asked to make a poster. They were also given puzzles to do as a group. They also had a meeting with the head and discussed about what he enjoyed doing etc.

My son was also at state schooland I must say we didn't have a clue as well. He just has to be himself! I think the most important thing we did was to know put any pressure on him. Just told him to be himself and it worked!

Harishani Fri 12-Jan-18 13:52:27

Hi Dosdos,

Thank you so very much for the information and your advice. I really appreciate it.

Wishing you all the very best
Harishani x

Michaelahpurple Sat 13-Jan-18 20:34:23

Caveating that my son did it 4 years ago, they were interviewed in a group and then did a group activity - brainstorming poetry. Parents were also interviewed. That sounds worse than it was although I have to say that the head was devastatingly direct - "well, DS seems delightful and very bright, but is he sometimes a bit hard work in large groups?" Totally accurate if hard to answer emoliently - I was impressed.

Key point is to prep him to make eye contact (if he doesn't have issues that make that v difficult , in which case teach the old eye brow technique), to shake hands and introduce himself confidently and to smile. Sounds fatuous but it helps make a connection which makes the child memorable and also serves to relax the child too. Have him be ready to talk about books he has read (but real ones - the schools are so bored with 8 year olds claiming to love a tale of two cities - enthusiasm is what they are after) and to talk about fave subjects and why (try to coax away from negatives- mine kept trying to answer that with "well, I hate French, that's for sure "). Perhaps help him have a decent question about the school up his sleeve and not to "waste" it on the year 7/8s when come and talk to people in the waiting room.

Good luck

Harishani Mon 15-Jan-18 10:06:56

Hi Michaelahpurple,

Thank you so very much for the advice. I never thought about reminding him about basic things like shaking hands and making eye contact. Really appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Harishani

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now