Talk

Advanced search

Pta

(8 Posts)
Sgeeny Thu 11-Jan-18 18:40:47

Hi. Can a member of school staff (TA) be a governor and chair of the pta?

Many thanks

TeenTimesTwo Fri 12-Jan-18 20:24:00

Well they can I guess, but I would think that was extremely bad practice and not to be recommended at all. Far too much chance of conflict of interest.

But if it is a choice of that or the PTA folding ...

BubblesBuddy Fri 12-Jan-18 21:26:42

Not good practice. The PTA should be separate from the school (and possibly a charity in its own right) and chaired by a parent. Is the TA a parent? You cannot stop a parent being chairman but try and find someone else. It should be someone independent from the Governors too. Is this a bid for power or is it vital this person becomes Chair.

Sgeeny Sat 13-Jan-18 09:05:12

She is a parent. I think it’s a bid for power. She is trying to spend money without the committees agreement.

Kerberos Sat 13-Jan-18 09:07:48

I would suggest PTA chair as a parent can be a TA but not a Governor, else it's a conflict of interest for sure. The chair would need to work hard to manage separation of work duties and PTA.

BewareOfDragons Sat 13-Jan-18 09:18:46

Not a great idea.

But surely there should be a Finance Committee of sorts, and voting?

The Chair doesn't get to decide everything on his/her own.

TeenTimesTwo Sat 13-Jan-18 09:54:34

Is it a charity?
Is the treasurer strong?

This is why there should be 2 signatures on the cheque book.

Words should be had. No money should be agreed without at minimum Treasurer approval. Committee could provide 'spending guidelines'
e.g. Up to £X Chair/Secretary&Treasurer can agree to spend
£X-Y committee can agree
More than £Y needs to have been discussed in principle at the previous AGM or notified in school newsletter for views (or whatever)

If necessary the committee should do a vote of no confidence and call an Extraordinary General Meeting.

Nellsbells11 Tue 16-Jan-18 23:11:44

I guess it depends on the interest and commitment of the other members. Our school, until recently, had a similar set up because very few others wanted to get involved. We now have parents who are chair, secretary, treasurer etc but we're still a very small group and in effect work more as a team, rather than a hierarchy. It's bloody hard work and has a tendency to take over your entire life with very little thanks and not a lot of reward. if you're planning on ousting someone I'd think quite long and hard whether you want to be the one who shoulders the responsibility. It's not easy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now