Talk

Advanced search

what to wear for interview at private school for DD, 11?

(44 Posts)
greyfriarskitty Fri 05-Jan-18 18:36:01

The instructions say school uniform, but she doesn't have a uniform. Smart dress - which we would have to buy or more casual jumper dress and leggings? Or what?

TeaBelle Fri 05-Jan-18 18:41:21

What's their uniform like? I'd mirror that but in generic clothes e.g. jumper dress with leggings if It's a jumper school, smarter if blazer and tie.

Leeds2 Fri 05-Jan-18 19:33:01

If girls at the school aren't allowed to wear trousers as part of their uniform, I wouldn't choose to wear trousers or leggings. On the other hand, if that is all she has, I would wear it - school don't expect you to buy a "special" outfit. If your DD is home schooled, or goes to a local school which doesn't have uniform, they will know this to be the case and won't judge her unfavourably.

NotAPenguin Fri 05-Jan-18 20:31:03

I really think it doesn't matter, I wouldn't buy anything new just go in smarts clothes. My ds went to a primary school with no uniform and wore jeans (he didn't;t have any non-jean trousers without holes at the knee) and a checked shirt and trainers (didn't have any smart shoes) to his private school interviews. He got in. Honestly don't think they give two hoots about what the children are wearing.

CruCru Sat 06-Jan-18 09:35:50

I don’t think that your daughter needs to be dressed terribly smartly - as long as she is neat. A jumper dress and leggings should be okay.

greyfriarskitty Sat 06-Jan-18 09:53:54

Thanks for the reassurance. We’re home edding and I’m finding the whole process a bit daunting without any experience.

Having said that, she’s grown so much in the last few months that I might have to buy something anyway.

CruCru Sat 06-Jan-18 12:14:02

Will you have any involvement with the school? If so, what are you going to wear?

NWgirls Sat 06-Jan-18 12:14:25

Let her wear something that she is comfortable in - you really want her to be happy, confident and relaxed for the interview, not feel artificially dressed up. Her attitude and behaviour are much more important than her clothes.

Allthebestnamesareused Sat 06-Jan-18 19:16:35

I think they say school uniform so that the other candidates don't spend time worrying what to wear. Wear what she'd wear if you were going out to dinner for a special meal/grandparents birthday etc. Certainly don't buy new especially.

SueSueDonahue Sat 06-Jan-18 20:20:20

It really doesn't matter! Whatever she feels comfortable in!

OCSockOrphanage Tue 09-Jan-18 20:29:30

It may matter more what you wear, especially if you are meeting the head and other members of staff. Many private schools do look closely at the parents to gauge 'fit'. Smart but comfortable is good.

citykat Tue 09-Jan-18 23:18:58

Mine went to exams in their 'uniform' of white polo from Sainsbury's, grey trousers from Sainsbury's and navy fleece. There were children there in capes and knickerbockers. For interviews trousers that were not tracksuit trousers, long sleeved T shirt with no stains and trainers. They are not expecting everyone to be Little Lord Fauntleroy, even if some do come dressed that waysmileand non jean trousers for me.

LuluJakey1 Tue 09-Jan-18 23:52:20

Interview - something smart. Skirt/pinafore opaque tights, flat shoes, long sleeved shirt and cardi. Not leggings.

Fekko Tue 09-Jan-18 23:54:52

Smart but not formal iykwim. Maybe trousers/skirt and a jumper? Not jeans or sports clothes. Something she will feel comfortable in.

RavingRoo Tue 09-Jan-18 23:56:57

Long / mid-sleeved smart dress and tights with school shoes.

caringcarer Wed 10-Jan-18 00:02:20

I agree with LuluJakey1 a skirt, blouse, cardigan or pinafore dress and cardigan, flat black shoes with no logo. If long hair tied back neatly. They will be interested in how she can communicate and express herself.

Atticusss Wed 10-Jan-18 09:39:41

I sent my home ed daughter to school last year and on her trial day I just sent her in what I'd send for non uniform day. Causal/informal clothes but not her scruffiest. I worried she'd stick out from the other new pupils in their uniform but it was fine.

jennawade Wed 10-Jan-18 10:04:46

ROFL at suggestion that an 11 year old should be dressed in blouse and pinafore! There is no way on earth dd would have worn that this time last year - and she would have been v uncomfortable if she'd be shoe-horned into it!!

Honestly just get her to choose a favourite outfit - she won't be the only non uniformed child there. And really really don't worry about what you wear either - any independent school selecting children based on clothes (child's or parent's!) is really not worth its salt.

FWIW dd wore jeans to the interview for the independent school that she is now at!

Theresahairbrushinthefridge Wed 10-Jan-18 10:17:58

Totally agree. School uniform is because they want children not to worry about what they wear. So I would go smart (as in not scruffy) and clean. That's all that matters. It is not a test. The most important thing is that she feels comfortable and herself.

Lotsofsighing Wed 10-Jan-18 10:27:34

A lot of girls' schools talk about empowerment so I really don't think you'd be downgraded for not wearing a skirt or dress. My child was in leggings and trainers because that's what she wears for her (very loosely defined) school uniform. She looked absolutely fine.

SueSueDonahue Wed 10-Jan-18 12:44:17

It's absolute tosh that heads would want an 11 year old in a dress/blouse/pinafore.

Having been from the other side, it most definitely does not matter!

BubblesBuddy Wed 10-Jan-18 15:06:22

I would say not scruffy. Everyone had a uniform when mine did exams. Home ed didn’t appear to apply. Make sure she does not feel out of place and different. This is it helpful to get any more then being dressed up would be. I would have thought a plain dress, skirt/blouse outfit and opaque tights would be best. Obviously they know you are home ed but they will also want to know your DD is prepared to fit in and that means with the uniform rules as well.

Knickerbockers are Hill House prep and Cloak is Godstowe. It’s their distinctive uniforms and I don’t see why people have to be so rude about it. What does inclusivity really mean to some parents I wonder?

BubblesBuddy Wed 10-Jan-18 15:08:02

I meant feeling too scruffy would not be a help any more than feeling overdressed and uncomfortable would be.

newyearnearlynewme Wed 10-Jan-18 15:16:57

DD did an exam today- some girls looking very uncomfortable in the blazer/3000 badges etc. combo but most in leggings, trainers and hoodies.

mumpoints Wed 10-Jan-18 16:10:16

Mirror the uniform. We’ve actually had a “You look like you belong here already!” when viewing a school because we inadvertently had the same colour jumper on DC. Can’t hurt.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: