Talk

Advanced search

How much work in Year 1

(14 Posts)
weekfour Tue 28-Nov-17 19:56:44

Parents evening was tonight. DD is in Year 1. Her teacher explained that she is meeting all targets for the year already and with a little extra work could be exceeding them. She gave me a list of spellings that she should have mastered by the end of Year 2.

DD loves reading. She brings home 2 reading books a night which we read as well as weekly English and Maths homework. It’s already a lot of work.

Is meeting targets really not enough? Who really cares if she can spell the words early? What does it achieve? I’m happy to hear arguments as to why she should be pushed but I can’t help but think that her time is better spent playing, or colouring or sometimes just watching a bit of TV because she’s tired and needs to relax.

I left a bit gobsmacked. I don’t know if DD is kind or polite. I don’t know if she is well behaved. I’m sure these specific things would have been mentioned if there was a specific issue but I feel a bit sad that a six year olds worth is measured by next years spellings. Am I doing this all wrong?

CappuccinoCake Tue 28-Nov-17 19:59:31

They have to report to you in relatiokn to targets now sad

But yes if she's doing well then just let her be. Were similar and we dont practice spellings and some weeks she reads tons and other weeks if we have late nights we dont read at all!

Absolutely no point pushing yet there's not and wonder to be had making cakes,playing outside,hearing stories etc.

weekfour Tue 28-Nov-17 20:25:08

Thanks @CappuccinoCake . At the risk of sounding a bit drippy, I left feeling a bit sad. I’m glad I’m not the only one that sees the importance of cake making.

BubblesBuddy Tue 28-Nov-17 22:49:16

A little extra work on spellings is hardly a big deal though. Will it really eat into cake making time? Ha!

yummyeclair Tue 28-Nov-17 22:56:52

We did one spelling per bath time or while walking . Didn't make it a regular chore but fun while waiting for toast to pop up !

CappuccinoCake Tue 28-Nov-17 23:43:53

Wow I really wouldn't at 5/6. They get to leave school at school!

sirfredfredgeorge Wed 29-Nov-17 08:26:43

It is very important to some parents, the teacher provided information, it doesn't sound like she actually expressed any sort of preference of if you acted on it.

A parent evening is not for discussion of if the child should bake a cake or not. Information was provided, yes it sounds pretty pointless information to you, and for others who think learning spellings is something you should do (as opposed to learning to spell via phonics and familiarity of words). But lots of parents do want it, the teacher doesn't know you, the information provided is going to have to be general, it's easier to ignore extra than be left wanting more.

irvineoneohone Wed 29-Nov-17 09:03:23

If dc is a keen reader, I think the words on the yr2 spelling list are something dc encounter a lot through reading anyway. Learning to decode/encode the word at the same time is best way to increase vocabulary without too much work, imo.

CappuccinoCake Wed 29-Nov-17 09:13:39

Yep exactly- lots more reading will pick up the vocabulary rather than arbitrarily learning an abstract list.

weekfour Wed 29-Nov-17 10:58:14

I’m not complaining about one extra spelling @BubblesBuddy I just don’t see the point in ramming it all in just to be classed as exceeding. It’s not going to help her get a job when she’s 20.

And it’s not just one extra spelling. She quite often sits and makes up stories whilst we cook her dinner. Apparently that’s not enough. Their punctuation should be corrected. We’re more than happy to oblige but worry it’s going to suck the fun out of it and we’re more than aware how things are easier while they’re fun.

irvineoneohone Wed 29-Nov-17 11:33:10

I think you are thinking too much, OP.
Teacher only suggested maybe because she/he sees a potential in your dd. Teacher is only saying your dd is doing ok, but if she worked a bit harder, she can exceed.
I really don't see the problem in that, if you are happy with her as she is, you don't need to do extra.

But I think doing extra doesn't mean no fun. If she likes writing stories, you can get her a nice notebook and encourage her to write it with correct grammar/spelling. You can share her story with family or at school.

Mimilicious2014 Sat 02-Dec-17 16:11:23

Oh dear, they are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.
Kids can definitely do 5 mins of spelling and still have plenty of time to play, bake etc.

letitsnowsnowsnow Mon 04-Dec-17 22:40:54

A bit late to this thread.....but I’m totally with you OP. Our DCs state school is very pushy (sounds similar to your experiences) to the point that we are considering transferring them to a much more relaxed private School. dH is European and didn’t start school til he was 7. All the evidence shows that there is nothing to be gained in teaching them everything 2 years early.

angelawilliams Fri 08-Dec-17 21:11:29

I wouldn't push her too much as she might start feeling pressured, if she's meeting the targets just leave her be smile x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: