Talk

Advanced search

Can Somebody Talk Me Through This - Y7, Target Grading System

(7 Posts)
User45632874 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:09:32

DC is at a good grammar (one of the best in the county) and has come home totally demoralised this evening after being given a target score of 6/7 in three subjects so far. DC is comparing themselves to their circle of friends and others in the class who today, according to DC got 8/9's and others who got 7/8's meaning that dc was given one of the lowest target scores in the class (yet again).
I am assuming this is a predicted GCSE grade and I am not sure how they could possibly know what a child in year 7 is going to achieve - it seems incomprehensible to me. The teachers write the scores in their books during class which inevitably leads to the children comparing scores and dc came off poor in the high score stakes ( I understand there is going to be some super bright children at dc's school). I am fuming that dc currently feels inadequate in comparison, some might say that it might spur a child on to do better but in dc's case it has demotivated them. Help please, I naturally feel distressed that my child has been distressed and demoralized by this situation at this early stage I just want them to feel happy and confident and of course to try their best (usually dc tries hard at school). Any teachers out there or other parents facing a similar situation?

Middleoftheroad Sat 11-Nov-17 08:23:50

Bump - I can't answer this, but hope that somebody can.

I believe that these are not predicted grades for GCSE. It's impossible to tell at this age anyway.

I have one son in year 7 at grammar who mainly gets 7s and 8s. His equal ability twin at comp's targets were 'exceeding expectations' based on ks2 data, though he has only met that in 2 subjects - so not as expected. He's got 'meeting expectations' in most subjects.
Likewise, I'm not sure what this means that he's below some targets. I'm hoping the predicted targets are where they are expected to be by year 10/11.

I'm hoping by the time they get nearer GCSEs he will be where he is expected to be - same for your son - and that it's early days.

Hopefully somebody in the know can explain.

MaisyPops Sat 11-Nov-17 08:24:53

This has been posted on another board and there are loads of replies already on it.

MaisyPops Sat 11-Nov-17 08:25:42

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/3083636-Can-Somebody-Talk-Me-Through-This-Y7-Target-Grading-System?msgid=73276372

Middleoftheroad Sat 11-Nov-17 08:30:29

PS I am assuming the scores our sons are getting at grammar are simply assessment scores rather than predictions. I think the targets for his twin at comp though are the predicted expectations for GCSE based on SATs and again, recent tests just show current scores, and there will be many assessments along the way, so ourcsons have plenty of time to improve.

Grammars are competitive and I understand the pressure but try not to worry - it's so early on.

Middleoftheroad Sat 11-Nov-17 08:30:55

Thanks Maisy - will look there!

Battyoldbat Sat 11-Nov-17 08:36:22

They could be predicted grades in the sense that the progress8 scores which schools now get have assessments done in year 7. The children are given a predicted ‘grade’ at GCSE level. When they (as a cohort) get their actual GCSE results, these are compared against the predictions from year 7. If everyone has got the expected results, the school gets a progress score of 0. If they have done worse, the school is given a negative score or a positive one if the cohort has performed better than expected. It is meant to show how much value the school has added onto the cohort, so that school’s performance can be judged on what it gave to the children it taught rather than a straight league table which favours schools with a bright/selective intake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now