Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

School girls not allowed to wear trousers

(24 Posts)
LewishamMum Fri 03-Nov-17 14:42:44

Just read this in the Guardian: www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/03/sex-discrimination-schoolgirls-skirts-girls-trousers-equality-act-2010
Are there really any schools that don't allow girls to wear trousers? Finding it difficult to believe this is a problem now, at least in the state sector!

Draylon Fri 03-Nov-17 18:56:41

A recent post by me seemed to reveal that some Northern Irish schools don't allow trousers for girls BUT I wonder if they're Catholic, therefore make their own rules?

AChickenCalledKorma Fri 03-Nov-17 20:55:30

Or local Catholic state secondary makes girls wear skirts.

ViserionTheDragon Fri 03-Nov-17 21:03:49

Went to an all girls Catholic school in the 90s. We weren't allowed to wear trousers. I see students from there in the local shopping centre and while the uniform is still pretty much the same, I've not seen one girl wearing trousers sad.

mousemoose Wed 15-Nov-17 17:30:28

Dc go to non-religious school in NI, no trousers for girls.

scurryfunge Wed 15-Nov-17 17:38:19

Crikey, remember complaining about this in 1978 at my secondary school. Who on earth thinks this is ok? When I started teaching in 1989 I remember a staff meeting debating about whether female staff should be allowed to wear trousers. This should not be happening still.

Ttbb Wed 15-Nov-17 18:45:36

I went to a school that allowed trousers but literally only saw a girl wearing trousers once while I was there.

heymammy Wed 15-Nov-17 19:01:07

My eldest dd recently wrote a discursive essay on 'Compulsory School Uniform' and during her research found a ridiculous number of schools that insist on skirts for girls. Some primary schools also insist that girls must wear mary-jane style shoes all year round. Twats.

Xennialish Wed 15-Nov-17 19:05:54

Both the obvious secondary options for my daughters don’t allow trousers.

EmmaGellerGreen Wed 15-Nov-17 19:07:43

At least 2 schools round here don't allowed girls to wear trousers. Both normal state schools, one girls only, the other is mixed.

Chocolatear Wed 15-Nov-17 19:19:44

No trousers for girls until 6th form at my son's school. We're in Surrey.

Orangeplastic Wed 15-Nov-17 22:37:58

Local school doesn't allow trousers for girls. parents are bending over backwards, attending church temporarily, fulfilling the entry requirements - known locally as the nearest thing you get to private without having to pay! And we tax payers support this crap!

Ginnotginger Thu 16-Nov-17 00:16:09

My dd went to a Catholic high school the girls were allowed to wear trousers but only one style which had to be bought from the school suppliers. The trousers were hideous and only a handful of girls wore them, usually ones in year 7. The uniform is still the same 10+ years later and the girls are still wearing skirts rather than the allowed trousers.

Julie8008 Thu 16-Nov-17 02:15:14

Seems to be a religious thing. What does that say about Priests who have avowed a life without sex?

Children should not be exposed to these men in the 21st Century.

SenecaFalls Thu 16-Nov-17 02:45:46

Mind-boggling that this is happening in the 21st century; the state is enforcing gender stereotypes.

whatatod0 Thu 16-Nov-17 08:29:31

if it is ok for private schools to say no trousers for girls, why is it not ok for state schools to say the same thing?

sirfredfredgeorge Thu 16-Nov-17 11:44:57

whatatod0 Due to the cost of private schooling we should expect the purchasers to be literate enough to know what they are buying. With state schools, where you have a non-informed purchasers, and people who just fall into it, it's more important to ensure that equality is there.

Also of course, the threshold for interfering in the private rights of individuals is greater than the threshold for interfering in the public rights.

So weird how backwards it's gone, my 1980's comp had a single uniform policy undifferentiated between male and female.

Orangeplastic Thu 16-Nov-17 11:56:46

So weird how backwards it's gone, my 1980's comp had a single uniform policy undifferentiated between male and female. It's all marketing and appearances - look like success, is the important thing! Glossy brochures, excessively fancy uniforms - they mean nothing really - but people are superficial and books are judged by their covers whether we value that or not!

JoJoSM2 Thu 16-Nov-17 13:13:57

I’m in London. Come to think of it, I’ve never seen a girl from the local Catholic school in trousers. hmm

buttwingsham Thu 16-Nov-17 13:44:55

Nope no trousers at my daughters girls catholic grammar until 6th form.

Smithy84 Sat 18-Nov-17 00:33:22

My DD's school is still skirts only for girls. They've moved on from skirts and knickers for PE to skorts, though

RefuseTheLies Sat 18-Nov-17 00:39:06

I went to a catholic school and we were allowed to wear trousers.

I visited a private school recently with a view to sending our DD, but uniform was a skirt for the girls and it was compulsory. I won't be sending her there.

EduCated Mon 20-Nov-17 12:56:40

Local school recently reverted from free choice to skirts only for girls when it became an academy.

Oh and of course, the skirt is a special kilt that can only be bought from one special supplier. Boys can have any old supermarket trousers hmm

Not religious, and not in the wealthiest of areas.

Seeline Mon 20-Nov-17 13:00:45

Isn't there a difference though between an all girls school saying the uniform is a skirt (IME most catholic secondaries are single sex), and a coed saying the boys can wear trousers, but the girls can't?
The second instance would be discriminatory, but I don't think the first is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now