Talk

Advanced search

Reception intake size halving

(16 Posts)
Rumpleteezer Mon 30-Oct-17 15:31:38

We live 60m from our local school which is halving its intake from 60 to 30 from sept 2016 (due to facility restrictions/listed building). The past 3 years there have been over 30 siblings which means we have no chance of getting in. Is this allowed legally? There at 10 of us living under 100m distance of the school who will be affected by this - have spoken to local MP but it seems the numbers are now set in stone. Would any appeal be successful?

Rumpleteezer Mon 30-Oct-17 15:32:06

Sorry, 2018...

Zodlebud Mon 30-Oct-17 18:37:53

We got stung with this. Our closest school halved it’s intake and four siblings didn’t get a place, let alone the child who lived literally next door. It is what it is and so long as it is announced well in advance of the application deadline then there’s nothing you can do.

We put our six closest schools as our choices (in Herts). We didn’t get any of them. We were allocated a school in special measures in the next town with no public transportation connections but not far enough away to qualify for free transportation.

The whole thing sucked and we ended up in the private sector.

Zodlebud Mon 30-Oct-17 18:40:43

To add that our third choice school added a bulge year to accommodate all the children affected by this but by then I’d had enough and stuck with private.

Snap8TheCat Mon 30-Oct-17 18:45:34

Why wouldn’t it be legal?

prh47bridge Mon 30-Oct-17 19:45:19

Yes, they can reduce the admission number provided they went through a proper consultation on the change. It is now too late to object to the change. And, given the reason for the reduction, I doubt an appeal would succeed. They cannot be made to admit more children if the premises cannot safely accommodate them.

Mycarsmellsoflavender Mon 30-Oct-17 20:22:02

Do the siblings all live in catchment? If not and you do, then you will have priority over them. If their older siblings got in when the school was bigger and therefore didn't have to be so strict on catchment, there may be several from out of catchment. Also, has the catchment area decreased to adapt to the reduced intake? Don't know how catchments work in cities though as ours is by village.

We're in a similar predicament but the opposite way round. Have a younger child due to start school in Sept 2018 but who probably won't get in to same school as older siblings as we're out of catchment. Got in on a low birth year when the school was less popular.

prh47bridge Mon 30-Oct-17 21:38:45

If not and you do, then you will have priority over them

You cannot say that definitively. Some schools prioritise in catchment applicants over out of catchment siblings but not all. And many schools don't have a defined catchment area at all, so all siblings go ahead of all other applicants.

2014newme Tue 31-Oct-17 10:39:51

@Mycarsmellsoflavender that's not the case where we live (city) siblings are priority over distance regardless of where they live. I know it's not the case everywhere but you need to be careful of giving incorrect information

BrieAndChilli Tue 31-Oct-17 10:45:35

You need to check the admissions criteria.
Here it’s
Special needs
In or ex care children
Siblings- All
Children in catchment (we have defined catchment areas here in our county in wales)
Children out of catchment

BrieAndChilli Tue 31-Oct-17 10:47:13

If there are so many siblings then you could ask the School to do a count. (This happened for DS2s year. It was a high sibling count so the School asked each class who would have a sibling applying so they could get an idea of how many places Would be taken by siblings (24 out of class of 30)

2014newme Tue 31-Oct-17 10:50:32

I'd be trying to get the council to do a bulge class at another school

Mycarsmellsoflavender Tue 31-Oct-17 15:52:19

Sorry, hadn't realised it was different for different areas. Ours is catchment first.

PatriciaHolm Tue 31-Oct-17 16:57:26

Assuming they went through the correct notification and consultation periods, it’s entirely legal.

To reduce the PAN, the admission authorities must consult for a minimum period of 6 weeks between 1 October and 31 January of the year of application. Did they do so?

Assuming they did, arrangements can’t be argued against now.

Any appeal would be very unlikely to succeed, as it would be an infant class size appeal and they are very hard to win and not getting in because of too many siblings/ PAN change are not grounds on which you can win I’m afraid.

Oblomov17 Tue 31-Oct-17 17:41:12

If they’ve gone through the correct procedure and protocols, identified my think there is anything you can do.

Our school went from 60 to 90. A bulge class. For Ds2. I so wish they hadn’t. But what can you do?

Zodlebud Tue 31-Oct-17 18:18:03

To add to my frustration, the school we wanted had sibling rule before distance. One child with a place lived 15 miles away. Yes 15 miles as they had rented in catchment, albeit for several years, saved up and then moved further out so they could get more house for their money. More than 10 siblings lived more than 3 miles away.

Can you tell I am pretty bitter about the whole thing????

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: