Talk

Advanced search

NI school uniforms- the rainbow!

(163 Posts)
Draylon Sat 28-Oct-17 16:51:56

Just come back from a week in Northern Ireland (which was fab). We were there during a school week and I was amazed at many of the school uniforms I saw, especially in Belfast. Once 3 girls, walking side by side; one in all green inc skirt, tie and elaborate school blazer badge, the other 2 ditto but in a very red burgundy, the third in what I can only describe as electric blue! Many blazers had braiding, many v neck pullovers sported stripes at the neck! Wow! Does it cost a fortune?

CrumpettyTree Sat 28-Oct-17 20:02:22

When I went to the Republic of Ireland i noticed uniforms in non standard colours eg. Rust, petrol blue etc that looked like they were specific to that school only, rather than standard colours like navy that might be mass produced for many schools. I would think it would cost more yes, a bit like when a school here has a particular kilt tartan only for one school that costs more than a standard coloured skirt.

Glumglowworm Sun 29-Oct-17 16:42:10

A high school near my sixth form college had bright purple skirts and blazers! It was certainly distinctive

Glumglowworm Sun 29-Oct-17 16:42:31

Mine was NW England btw

OuchBollocks Sun 29-Oct-17 16:44:23

I suspect that one of the uniforms you describe was from my old school grin and yes it was very expensive. No supermarket uniforms for us sadly. Lots of second hand uniform sales.

BikeRunSki Sun 29-Oct-17 16:45:09

There’s a promary school in Sheffield, where you can wear polo shirts /logo’ed jumpers and summer dresses in any of about 5 colours - they look awesome. Still smart, still allied by the logo, but bright and colourful.

Their previous uniform was cargo pants and hoodies!

BelfastSmile Sun 29-Oct-17 16:48:08

I didn't realise uniforms weren't so colourful elsewhere! Ours was bottle green, so not totally out there, but I remember the skirt being about £45 (1990ish).

Primary school was a standard grey skirt and navy jumper, so the skirt was cheap enough and most mums knit the jumper themselves (usually unraveled the wool from last year's jumper and just added some extra in!).

Draylon Sun 29-Oct-17 17:26:52

I appreciate that many may be private schools but Belfast school uniforms google search grin

Some belters in there!

Admittedly, without a better filter, you could probably insert many cities in there; but it just struck me that more or less every uniform I saw was quite bright, with a) braiding, and b) matching skirt colour!

AgonyBeetle Sun 29-Oct-17 18:47:52

A high school near my sixth form college had bright purple skirts and blazers! It was certainly distinctive

Are we talking North Finchley, perchance? grin

AgonyBeetle Sun 29-Oct-17 18:48:44

And to the OP - it's Catholic schools. Not sure what the deal is with Catholic schools and brightly-coloured kilts, but it definitely is a thing.

CrumpettyTree Sun 29-Oct-17 18:54:38

This is an English Catholic school near where my parents live with a distinctive uniform.

northcoastmum Sun 29-Oct-17 18:55:59

There’s really only 1 private school here, but lots of grammar schools. The crazy uniforms aren’t confined to Belfast either, check out this one from the North Coast stmoore.blob.core.windows.net/images/0009246_0.jpeg

MontytheSpookyMouse Sun 29-Oct-17 18:58:15

The one near us beats all these. It's Blue white and gold striped...

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sun 29-Oct-17 18:58:49

Yes they cost a fortune! grin mine was blue and the blazer (woollen hmm) was £70 alone.

What do they have in England?

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sun 29-Oct-17 18:59:45

Mine wasn’t in Belfast either.

MontytheSpookyMouse Sun 29-Oct-17 19:00:14

Not Ireland but... utcbolton.org/parents/uniform/

leccybill Sun 29-Oct-17 19:02:38

I love the piped blazers and stripe jumpers, they look so smart.

Where I work, the uniform is smart and girls have a nice kilt but they have to wear knee-high white socks which makes it all look a bit Britney Spears I think thlsad

BroomstickOfLove Sun 29-Oct-17 19:07:41

Yep, the uniforms are really expensive. £80-90 for a blazer, £20-25 for a skirt or jumper, and around £12-15 for things like socks and ties and scarves. When I was at school there was a compulsory duffle coat which make it even more expensive. And we weren't even allowed to wear non-uniform tights. Add on sports kit and lab coats and aprons for food tech...

It looks nice, but doesn't come cheap.

BroomstickOfLove Sun 29-Oct-17 19:08:13

Made, not make.

BroomstickOfLove Sun 29-Oct-17 19:10:44

It's not just the Catholic schools (although they tended to have more like). My protestant school uniform was blue and scarlet, and the one down the road from me was maroon, and all the blazers had piping.

OuchBollocks Sun 29-Oct-17 19:11:20

There aren't many proper private schools in Belfast though. A couple of the schools listed with the Independent Schools council have fees of less than £300 a term (no not missing a zero) though they're affiliated to fee paying preps. Education is still selective in NI.

inniu Sun 29-Oct-17 19:13:16

I live in Ireland. My twins started secondary school this year and including the various sports uniforms, the uniform raincoat and uniform warm coat it was over €1000 between them.
Same again for books.

State school not fee paying.

FlaviaAlbia Sun 29-Oct-17 19:15:00

My old school uniform is in that Google search grin it had two different sets of ties and blazers, so if you got sports or other honours in U6 then you got fancier ones. I really coveted the half honours tie grin

As far as I can remember, and it was a long time ago, the blazer was about £60. I think my Dbros at a different school came in about £40 as it wasn't wool.

BroomstickOfLove Sun 29-Oct-17 19:19:37

The PTA generally have uniform sales and most people wear second hand, especially for stuff like blazers which last well.

The blazers are also dry clean only.

planbatman Sun 29-Oct-17 19:23:19

NoCryLilSoftSoft Same, it about 4 different shades of blue and smelled terrible when it got wet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now