Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What are the best educational books aimed at junior school kids?

(12 Posts)
OnlyParentsAreReal Mon 23-Oct-17 22:26:23

I'm looking for some Christmas present idea but I'm not sure what books would be a good idea. I've looked at a few file of facts type things but they seem a bit busy/confusing so I'm not sure about them. And I don't want to end up getting something too basic and boring. What are the best educational books aimed at junior school kids?

Lowdoorinthewal1 Tue 24-Oct-17 09:16:53

In my experience of the books my kids at school choose at a 'read whatever you like' time:

Guinness Book of Records
Horrible Histories (the annual sized books)
Usborne 'Look Inside' books
How Things Work
Robert Winston's science books
A Street Through Time

They are all boys BTW. A subscription to First News or The Week Junior might be good.

iseenodust Tue 24-Oct-17 11:31:32

Steve Backshall's Deadly 60 books are popular
Maths quest series
Disney Wonderful World of Knowledge series
Junior encyclopaedia

NotCitrus Tue 24-Oct-17 12:01:16

The Marcia Williams ones on various subjects in strip cartoon format are very well done and got ds and dn into reading for pleasure.

princessna Wed 25-Oct-17 10:19:27

My son lover the Basher Science series. Small format, carton style pictures and loads of useful facts!

LadyRosalieBeauchamp Wed 25-Oct-17 17:11:43

My son loves the picturepedia by doring kindersley

megletthesecond Wed 25-Oct-17 17:18:42

Any of the Animal Science series by Nicola Davies and Neal Layton. We're especially fond of 'Just the right size' and the one about parasites.

And A Street Through Time is excellent.

Caroian Wed 25-Oct-17 18:20:36

The Usborne Junior Illustrated Science Dictionary is great. Also agree with the Usborne "Look Inside" series and A Street Through Time.

Trouble is there are so many awesome books on so many subjects. Are there specific topics you have in mind, as this may make it easier to recommend. My so loves London and we have several really good history of London type books, and a fabulous pop up London one. If travel is a thing then Lonely Planet have some great kids books out now. Ii'll have more suggestions if you have subjects in mind!

OnlyParentsAreReal Thu 26-Oct-17 13:45:18

Thanks guys! Definitely take a look at all of those

catkind Thu 26-Oct-17 13:52:19

I was going to say Usborne Look Inside books too.

irvineoneohone Thu 26-Oct-17 22:07:57

My ds loves Basher Books too. Not just science, they have literacy, maths, music etc.

PettsWoodParadise Fri 27-Oct-17 16:20:44

DD loved her sub to The Week Junior, best present ever from her uncle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now