Talk

Advanced search

Please advise

(5 Posts)
ConcernedAunt99 Mon 23-Oct-17 10:23:11

My brother’s son (6yo) is autistic and the lady that is looking after him at school was not in last week. Not sure if this was due to holiday or sick leave. My brother was asked not to bring his son to school for a whole week. His plan states he should be seeing four different teachers but so far he has only been seeing an SNA. After the week was over they asked if going forward he could be brought to school for two hours a day instead of three as he has been attending since September. Last year the parents were told that by now he should be in full time. Please could you advise what is the best way to approach this. Many thanks for any help.

Growingboys Mon 23-Oct-17 12:36:35

I'm afraid I can't help you but in case you haven't already, do try the Special Needs: Children board as it's ace and everyone on there v knowledgeable.

Good luck

LIZS Mon 23-Oct-17 13:51:21

It sounds like an illegal exclusion. There should be Senco responsible for implementing the plan to meet his needs including the lsa. Suggest they write to head and Senco stating that it is not acceptable to reduce his hours and asking how they intend to build him up to ft attendance as his right. There are organisations such as Ipsea which may be able to support them in drafting a letter.

BackforGood Tue 24-Oct-17 00:22:41

Tell your brother to put SENDIASS and the name of the area he lives, into his search engine.
This stands for Special Educational Needs Independent Advice and Support Service. Every Local Authority in the Country has one. He should then phone them, tell them what you have told us, and then they will support him in making the school put this right.
It is not legal for the school to exclude a child permanently just because they have additional needs.

Another organistation that will help you/him is Contact who have a helpline which will offer support and advice (if they have a support worker locally they will meet you / your brother) face to face.
Or the National Autistic Society will offer support and advice on their helpline.

What the school is doing is not right.

Bekabeech Tue 24-Oct-17 09:22:42

It sounds like an illegal exclusion.

At the very least he should be contacting the local LA for "advice".
I would recommend NAS.

And if this continues SEN!SOS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now