Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

St. John's prep & senior school, Ridgeway

(16 Posts)
CakeLoving Wed 18-Oct-17 18:41:04

If anyone can give me some honest opinions on this school id be so grateful! Our options for our two are very small single sex, good local state, or St John's. St. John's would mean a 40/45 min round trip, but the advantages seem to outweigh the travel...co ed, great results for SATs and GCSEs (although not A levels it seems?).

On the flip side, I've heard some less than positive

CakeLoving Wed 18-Oct-17 18:42:00

Oops...I've heard than less some positive things about the school and it seems to be cloaked in mystery.

Can anyone help at all with a steer on this one? Thanks'

endofthelinefinally Wed 18-Oct-17 18:45:33

There are better schools.

CakeLoving Wed 18-Oct-17 19:05:39

Yes. One possible plan is to go with palmers green high school, or even our local state school, and work towards transferring into a "better" school like Highgate later on.

What appeals about St. John's is its not massively far (15 mins on a good run) and yet has grounds, facilities, and sport and music opportunities most of the preps closer don't have. Together with pretty solid sat and GCSEs teaching it seems like a pretty good rounded option at least until 11+?

mellicauli Fri 20-Oct-17 00:38:47

Have a look at the headmasters letters on the website. I wasn't impressed with sentiments or quality of the writing.

ourkidmolly Fri 20-Oct-17 10:48:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chocaholic73 Fri 20-Oct-17 20:01:04

Assuming you have a DD, having mentioned Palmers Green High? What about Stormont (Potters Bar) or Manor Lodge?

OrgyofSausages Fri 20-Oct-17 20:02:53

Very poor school. The head is mad and the teaching in the younger years is woeful

CakeLoving Fri 20-Oct-17 20:42:20

I LOVE the look of Stormont and Manor Lodge but they're just a bit too far. An hour round trip twice a day is just too much for primary.

We have PGHS and Keble close by so would probably go for single sex if St. John's isn't an option, as we didn't get a great feel for Salcombe.

Belmont is a bit nearer than Stormont and manor lodge. And to the east, forest school is another (I hear very vey good) option but again a bit too far for now I think. Perhaps for later down the line...

CakeLoving Sat 21-Oct-17 08:19:50

Universal dislike for this school then? I've heard no good first hand reports anywhere. That's very disturbing!

SeasickCrocodile Sat 21-Oct-17 11:00:48

Vita et pax? Lochinver? Norfolk House?

CakeLoving Sat 21-Oct-17 12:15:54

I've heard lots of negative things about Norfolk house and vita et pax. Lochinver is boys only I think?

SeasickCrocodile Sun 22-Oct-17 02:21:44

If you want more selective and can deal with a very rude head there’s always Annemount but you do have to steal yourself. Channing for a girl? Might be worth the trek. I loved the head at Keble for a boy but again nonselective and I’m not sure how much value added is there. What negatives have you heard about Vita? I’d only heard positives and was considering it.

CakeLoving Sun 22-Oct-17 07:53:29

Whilst I'm not specifically aiming for a rude head grinif put up with it if the school felt worth it. I think possibly Annemount is too far, especially given that it's on a busier route and also it only goes up to 7.

Vita et pax sounded great for us too, in theory, but I've heard nothing but negative things about class size and pupil attainment. People mention a total lack of the value added (as you mentioned-so important). A friend has tutored children from there recently and has found their level of attainment comparable (not favourably) to a state school.

The children she tutored have been removed by their parents and placed in other local preps.

harrowlady654321 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:38:13

Having worked as a teacher there all I can say is AVOID ST. JOHNS!
The absolute pits! Cannot believe it is even allowed to be open- look at recent ofsted!

RhythmStix Wed 15-Nov-17 13:19:33

My friend's son goes there and tells me that all they do in literacy is work through Bond books in class. Pathetic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now