Talk

Advanced search

Dyslexic child Ardingly College/ Hurstpierpoint College

(6 Posts)
Backchatt123 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:30:00

My year 2 daughter has been flagged as possibly dyslexic.
She's doing fine at reading but writing and maths are poor.
Our family have been planning a move from London to Sussex, and we've applied to both Ardingly and Hurstpierpoint College for both our children. I'm now quite concerned.
Will she be awarded a place at either school?
Will a dyslexic child enjoy being at these schools?
Will my child be asked to leave if she's not keeping up?

Anyone with any experience at all of these schools? I want her to be happy, I'm also worried they will accept my eldest and deny her a place.

Thanks!

Dumbledore345 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:20:22

Ardingley is quite academic and Hurst has got more so in recent years.

If you can stand the Catholic thing ( and a high proportion of students are not Catholic) then Worth might be an option in that area.

LIZS Wed 18-Oct-17 17:27:11

I've known a number of dyslexic children go to Ardingly prep/college. Worth is secondary only but you could look at Copthorne prep until then.

dishdash1 Thu 19-Oct-17 01:07:04

Of those two schools, Ardingly is the most popular locally at the moment. This could either be a plus or a minus for your DD.

If you want an extremely nurturing school with first rate academics I can recommend Ashdown House near East Grinstead. It is really first rate for SEN too.

I agree Copthorne is very nurturing, but the leavers mostly go to Lingfield, Ardingly and Hurst plus some Grammar schools.

sunshine11 Sun 04-Feb-18 14:06:06

Have you decided upon schools? Ashdown House is VERY near to Worth, Ardingly and Hurstpierpoint with a very strong SEN department. It has a very strong ethos towards 'work hard, play hard' and is less academic than the schools you mention although children still get excellent results and go onto schools like Eton, Roedean, Beneden etc. Worth having a look at, we love it!

Chicklet3 Sat 16-Jun-18 23:36:29

I am sure that you have found a school now, but whilst Copthorne prep is a very good school in many ways - avoid for dyslexic children!
Sadly I write this with experience, and one of quite a few parents.
Children who have left Copthorne and gone to Ardingly report doing well and school is more proactive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: