Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Secondary School - Trans Policy Considerations

(11 Posts)
TeenTimesTwo Fri 13-Oct-17 15:38:09

What does a secondary school need to consider in any policy regarding trans gender pupils?

My list so far:
- uniform
- changing for PE
- PE classes if currently done single sex
- sports teams
- accommodation for school trips
- toilets, incl sanitary disposal for F->M
- are trans pupils able to be head boy/girl

N.B. I really don't want to get in to debating rights and wrongs or what policy should be, just more what issues should the head / governors have to consider.

Ttbb Fri 13-Oct-17 15:40:42

Access to counselling
Amending bullying policy
Sensitivity training for staff

TheNoseyProject Fri 13-Oct-17 15:44:26

What they do about trans pupils who switch back and forth (are fluid?) these seem separate to those who move permanently to another identity.

The way it’s explained which takes in the rights, needs and reality of all pupils.

PotteringAlong Fri 13-Oct-17 15:45:19

Sex education sessions if they are single sex.

Single sex school trips (i.e., getting more women into stem, that kind of thing)

BigDeskBob Fri 13-Oct-17 15:48:01

Understanding that certain areas in school are segregated by sex not gender.

Making it clear that its not schools girls responsibility to validate boys gender identity. And visa versa.

titchy Fri 13-Oct-17 17:05:12

Something about not using sex as an easy way to group kids - as in boys debate X and girls debate Y. Use blue eyed kids debate X and everyone else Y instead.

Something around staff being careful of the language they use - not resorting to stereotypes: 'Boys you'll like this experiment we make something explode!', 'Girls you'll like this experiment it turns the compound a pretty shade of purple'. They should be anyway but they won't be consistently and it's a good opportunity to reinforce that language can be damaging.

hertsandessex Fri 13-Oct-17 17:32:35

Boarding houses for schools with boarding provision

catslife Fri 13-Oct-17 18:32:41

What about drama/school plays with male/female roles?
Also more if a dc has adopted a different name which name do their peers/teachers call them?
Communications with parents e.g. letters/emails should they refer to son/daughter or be gender neutral?

Lurkedforever1 Fri 13-Oct-17 21:58:20

Protocols to ensure whatever the situation, it doesn't ever come down to expecting compromise of their needs from other pupils/staff.

I think you also need to look at staff policy for anything personal, eg changing rooms, health issue etc, but which sex teacher provides that assistance to a trans child.

Policy for what will constitute discrimination against a trans child. Eg will nobody be allowed to discuss general trans opinion or will it only be personal attacks that will be prohibited.

Also stats, will a trans child count as their biological sex or as the one they say they are?

How the school will deal with gender stereotypes.

TeenTimesTwo Sat 14-Oct-17 19:50:18

Thank you that's a great list.
It kind of falls into 2 areas, practical, and then the other 'softer' issues. Always balancing how to treat the trans kids sensitively without trampling over the rights and needs of the rest of the student population.

Sunkisses Mon 16-Oct-17 23:26:47

Whether if they have PHSE lessons on gender identity stuff, whether you will be warned so you can take your kids out of school? I want to be warned as I don't want my kids exposed to this unscientific propaganda

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now