Talk

Advanced search

Drama Teachers/teachers can I ask WWYD?

(7 Posts)
Trampire Thu 12-Oct-17 17:59:10

Can I pick the brains of any hard working drama teachers out there?

My dd is in Y8. Her school (state) do many productions in a school year. Some massive and ambitious, some smaller minimal productions. My dd has auditioned and been involved in many productions so far. She's had mainly tiny or small roles and thoroughly enjoyed them all. She hoping to work backstage on another later in the year.

She's just auctioned and landed a main part in a huge school production and she's so pleased. However she's just learned that the mother of a friend of hers is officially complaining to the Drama Teacher that her daughter doesn't have a big part and demanding that parts are re-shuffled. Dd is worried her part will be taken away.

As a teacher how would you respond to a complaint like this?

Whynotnowbaby Thu 12-Oct-17 18:03:44

I’m not a school drama teacher but do run a young people’s theatre group. There is no way I would bow to this sort of pressure. Not only would it be extremely unfair on people like your dd but it would open the floodgates for every parent to question every decision and expect me to change things based on their whims. I will explain what a dc could do to improve and stand a better chance in future years but I would always be absolutely clear that the casting committee’s decisions are final.

Maudlinmaud Thu 12-Oct-17 18:06:34

No. I am well used to this, it won't or at least shouldn't effect your dd. They might make the other child her understudy or give her another role. Who knows.

Trampire Thu 12-Oct-17 18:12:34

Thanks for the responses. Reassuring to know that hopefully the Drama dept won't bow under pressure. I'm keeping very quiet in the hope nothing comes of it.

Liadain Thu 12-Oct-17 18:43:40

Oh, I've had these complaints as a class teacher. No, no and no some more is usually the running theme of my reply. If your drama teacher seems like a decent sort (and isn't made of tissue paper), I don't think you should worry.

EvilTwins Fri 20-Oct-17 21:27:49

I’m a drama teacher. Luckily i’ve never had a complaint like that but I would not make changes on the back of one. I would explain to the parent how decisions were made about her child’s role and leave it at that. Your DD should try not to worry.

CauliflowerSqueeze Fri 20-Oct-17 21:31:11

I would never ever swap things around to suit a belligerent parent. What kind of message would that send to anyone? Bullies win?? Almost worthy of a production on its own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now