Talk

Advanced search

2 weeks to accept a private school place?

(26 Posts)
funklymydear Wed 04-Oct-17 13:17:32

I am new to all this and feel that 2 weeks does not seem long enough for us to have to accept a place for an in year application. Would you expect an independent school to give you longer? Many thanks

BertrandRussell Wed 04-Oct-17 13:18:51

Why? You applied for the school!

Loopytiles Wed 04-Oct-17 13:19:16

No, they will want you to decide and stump up cash and commit to a term’s fees. Standard. You can take more time, and take the chance of losinh the place.

Bombardier25966 Wed 04-Oct-17 13:20:24

You presumably researched the school before applying, what is it you need more time for?

JoandMax Wed 04-Oct-17 13:23:38

No that seems about right, often it's just a week.....

funklymydear Wed 04-Oct-17 13:28:27

Ok then......

Moving from overseas so did not have visit before (kick myself now). Have had an offer accepted on a house that will make the journey unappealing. We are going on holiday Friday and are away for their deadline so have tomorrow to make a decision. I have explained circumstance to them but from what you are all saying they will be unsympathetic.......

2014newme Wed 04-Oct-17 13:29:22

Don take a place at a school have not visited

funklymydear Wed 04-Oct-17 13:30:59

We went yesterday, children in for the day and they sent offer today.. ..

HelpfulHermione Wed 04-Oct-17 13:31:45

Don't be pushed in to take it. Not least if they are unsympathetic now what will there be like when you're there!!

I'd be inclined to say circumstances are on the verge of possibly changing and you're very sorry but can't commit this week and will be in touch in such and such a date. The place may or may not have gone but chances are it won't have.

And if you accept and then don't start, they will still want the term's fees!

funklymydear Wed 04-Oct-17 13:33:49

I am a bit unhappy about them pressurising us ( as I see it). We were not due to see the head of juniors in the afternoon but then she comes out when we collected the children and said they would be offering places oh and they had pressure on the place on yr4......

lunar1 Wed 04-Oct-17 13:35:29

It’s not really a matter of being unsympathetic. It’s not their fault you aren’t sure if you want the place you applied for. The may have other children waiting for a place. I think the two weeks is more than fair.

If you really don’t know if it’s right for you then pass on it, it’s a huge commitment if you are in doubt. Do you know if they have a waiting list?

Bombardier25966 Wed 04-Oct-17 13:38:00

They might be sympathetic to a family emergency or the like, they're less likely to be sympathetic to poor planning and you going on holiday. Surely you want your children in school as quickly as possible?

explodingkittens Wed 04-Oct-17 13:42:16

Whilst I can understand you feel rather under pressure to decide, it's not their fault that you're going on holiday over their deadline. Two weeks is absolutely standard.

HelpfulHermione Wed 04-Oct-17 13:43:56

I'd be inclined to follow instincts. The last thing you want is a bad feeling around accepting a school place.

Is it practically possible for you to have the children at home for a while (days, weeks, whatever) after you've moved, if need be? Or is that totally unworkable?

Do you have any other options?

HelpfulHermione Wed 04-Oct-17 13:45:13

Two weeks is standard but there are ways and means of communicating the OPs need to secure a place if she wants it.

If the school makes the OP feel uncomfortable way I'd say it doesn't bode well for a good relationship further down the line.

tickingthebox Wed 04-Oct-17 13:47:43

We had 24 hours to respond (and 4 days to pay non-refundable deposit of £1000), although we were in a waiting list situation, so they were just going down the list until someone said yes...

mrscampbellblackreturns Wed 04-Oct-17 13:50:42

In my experience good schools have waiting lists so that is why they need quick decisions.

Loopytiles Wed 04-Oct-17 13:56:56

Is it a popular London school? If so, you might need to sign and stump up, unless you have other options in the pipeline.

I would sort schools first and house after! If the school is in London travel by road can be a huge issue, can take much longer than you’d think.

funklymydear Wed 04-Oct-17 14:02:55

It is to join after Easter. They have no told me they have a waiting list and it is not London.
Poor planning I accept but moving from overseas and sorting house school jobs etc is quite stressful.. .

HelpfulHermione Wed 04-Oct-17 14:05:40

Are there other options to look at OP?

Particularly with the new house in mind.

Loopytiles Wed 04-Oct-17 14:13:35

Hmmm outside London and the south east and a few other places in the UK pressure on places might not be too bad and you might risk it.

Yes, what are the other school options for you?

Understand it’s very stressful, but IMO schools and actual journey times to school (and work) are paramount.

Michaelahpurple Wed 04-Oct-17 14:35:39

You may find it is a standard letter and that they might be flexible if you have a low phone call? Worth a go?

ifonly4 Wed 04-Oct-17 15:01:12

We looked at two private schools and both gave us two weeks to accept or decline the offer of a place. As mentioned before, give them a call to see if there's any flexibility - if there is, then they'd want you to be sure it was the right school for your DC.

Still better you look at the school, but which one is it. Someone on here might be able to give you an opinion based on their child going there.

SevenDwarfWharf Wed 04-Oct-17 15:05:43

What information do you feel you need to make the decision? Is it a very selective school? If it's a top 50 league table school (assuming a linked senior school) then is imagine there will be very little room for negotiation. If it's a stand alone prep that needs the numbers you're in a very different position. Are there other peeps close to the new house that you think you might be happy with and have a chance of getting a place?

hiyasminitsme Wed 04-Oct-17 16:25:23

That's pretty standard verging towards generous, but no harm explaining your circumstances and seeing if they can extend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now