Talk

Advanced search

Boys school in/near guildford area

(11 Posts)
lovinit Thu 21-Sep-17 12:15:12

Any suggestions for good , sporty boys or mixed schools that are not in the same league as the Charterhouse cost wise . RGS is too academic.
Thanks

sazzy5 Thu 21-Sep-17 15:53:34

St George's, St John's Leatherhead, Reeds. There are others but depends how academic your DS is. The three i have given are ok academically and sport wise all good.

Mary21 Thu 21-Sep-17 16:44:03

King Edwards Witley, Royal school Hindhead, Duke of Kent, churchers

Bekabeech Thu 21-Sep-17 18:29:56

Salesian if more academic but not quite RGS.

trinity0097 Thu 21-Sep-17 19:36:45

St. Edmund's in Hindhead.

Scribblegirl Thu 21-Sep-17 19:39:20

Reeds is academic but not too academoc, sports facilities fab.

homebythesea Fri 22-Sep-17 12:51:12

You have discovered Guildford's biggest disadvantage for boys who are not RGS material. All of those suggested are a considerable journey away from Guildford. I would add Cranleigh and City of London Freemens in Ashtead to those already mentioned

Bekabeech Fri 22-Sep-17 13:32:25

It is better than it used to be. But quite a few boys do go to State schools if they don't get into RGS.

lovinit Sat 23-Sep-17 14:50:18

Thank you for the replies .

what are the state school options ? I hear of George Abbot ?

Bekabeech Sun 24-Sep-17 08:29:13

The highest rated ones in Guildford are: George Abbot, County, and St Peters (if you are Catholic). I think all three have had boys from Prep schools, and you need to go and look knowing your own son.

YellowFlamingo Sun 24-Sep-17 09:57:37

Apologies for repeating some above but recently was sent a comprehensive list on this topic (in order of preference of the person who wrote it and looked at all schools - obviously just their opinion and you'd probably have different preferences)
As previous poster said, the major downfall of Guildford is not having a second, slightly less academic boys independent school. There is SO much competition for RGS that boys who would suit it perfectly or are just a tiny bit less academic don't get in. A 'Tormead for boys' is desperately needed.

(- RGS)
(- Hampton boys) v academic like RGS
- City of London Freeman's
- Epsom College
- St John's Leatherhead
- Reeds
- Kingston Grammar
- Churchers
- Cranleigh
- King Edwards Witley
- Claremont Fan
- St George's Weybridge (catholic)
- Salesian (catholic)
- Royal Haslemere (fairly new, didn't have a lot of boys on roll when we looked)
- St Edmund's (a lot less academic, felt like an extended prep school)

State options are very good - George Abbot (big but very well run), County (would be our top choice), St Peter's (catholic)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now