Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The winchester secondary schools?

(12 Posts)
Anxioustabbycat Wed 13-Sep-17 11:32:30

One honest question. Why is there a difference in grades with HB being always slightly lower? What is the reason when all 3 schools have more or less equal demographics ? Trying to work out the reasons, please somebody tell me the truth. DH wouldn't let me ask the head as he says it's not the sort of thing I can ask confused

Efferlunt Wed 13-Sep-17 11:45:29

HB is seen as less good/popular not sure why but that might mean it's second choice and those who can get a place out of catchment do? Kings is seen as v academic Westgate as more liberal which many might prefer for one reason or another. Never heard anything bad about HB but it doesn't have the reputation of the other two.

TeenTimesTwo Wed 13-Sep-17 15:41:12

Self selection by parents based on school ethos etc.

That said HB appears to have been less 'on the ball' with respect to controlled assessments. However CAs are being discontinued anyway.

Ta1kinPeece Wed 13-Sep-17 17:25:19

ditto what Teen says

Therealslimshady1 Wed 13-Sep-17 17:32:22

It's odd, I have one child at Kings and one at Westgate, but never considered HB...

It is not our catchment (whereas K and W are), which is the main reason. And for some reason their grades are not as good, and there is no school bus from where we live.

Both K and W are archetypal MN "leafy comps" grin, with K being supposedly more academic and sporty (rigorous setting/streaming), and W being more liberal (and v. Strong in English and maths) we are kind of spoiled for choice already.

Don't discount HB if it is your catchment school, the people I know who send their kids there really rate it.

Anxioustabbycat Wed 13-Sep-17 18:12:56

We are catchment for HB we live in a village 6 miles outside winchester. I want westgate or kings but I know we are not likely to get in with all the developments. sad I don't know how bad this situation really is hence me asking?

Ta1kinPeece Wed 13-Sep-17 18:27:28

Having had two kids go through Symonds, HB is rather a dark horse - kids from there are as bright and articulate and sociable as those from Wg and Kings and Perins
fear not

TeenTimesTwo Wed 13-Sep-17 18:29:39

Friends DC recently left HB with excellent results, so they can deal with the top end.
Their results might not be quite as high, but they are more relaxed than Kings and WG, so if that is the ethos you want then maybe slightly lower results is OK. Anywhere else in country HB results would still be considered very good I think, they just don't look it compared with K, WG, and Thornden.

Does Kings still stream (as opposed to set) really visibly?
(I would hate that.)

Anxioustabbycat Wed 13-Sep-17 18:37:21

The thing is we don't want relaxed. I want a Pushy acedemic school for my child. He is very bright but can be distracted so strict would be best! I just don't feel we have the choice and wonder if moving would be best solution.

TeenTimesTwo Wed 13-Sep-17 18:53:11

Have you checked the 'last distance offered' information?

(Moving sounds a bit OTT to me. It isn't as if HB is a failing sink school, or anywhere near it. But you know your child and I don't!)

Anxioustabbycat Wed 13-Sep-17 19:07:23

Where do I find last distance offered?
I don't feel anything is majorly wrong with the school and the children certainly seem lovely. I just don't feel a relaxed attitude really matches our views or what child 1 needs. Probably will be fine, I haven't heard any bad stories but then that's what I am asking here for.

TeenTimesTwo Wed 13-Sep-17 19:28:08

documents.hants.gov.uk/education/SecondaryData-2017.pdf Last distance offered for Hants.
Doesn't look hopeful for you.
Moving primary to a linked primary school might be less trouble than moving house if you can find suitable one with a space?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now