Talk

Advanced search

Key stage 2 Attainment targets

(5 Posts)
lucy5 Sun 18-Jul-04 02:01:28

I was just wondering if anyone could explain how the attainment targets work. Is it the case that the younger a child is the lower the attainment target is or are there 6 for every year which are adapted accordingly. Sorry I know its late but the national curriculum is new to me and i would just like it clarified so I dont look like a fool. Thanks.

popsycal Sun 18-Jul-04 22:24:29

sorry lucy - not quite sure what you are getting at

if you are a little more specific i can help you out no problem

I *think* you might mean levels from what you describe.....attainment targets are different....

lucy5 Mon 19-Jul-04 02:52:04

It just shows how confused I am, hahaha. Ive been looking at the National Curriculum for key stage 2 and got the terminology from their website. As I understood it ,there were, say for example in reading 6 levels, which they class as attainment targets. I am due to teach year 3,4 and 5, ESOL. These are foreign students at an international school who are being taught according to the National Curriculum. As I normally lecture in ESOL at Further Ed level, this is not something I am familiar with. I have read through the notes for each level and It looks like children of their age couldnt possibley meet the requirements. So, I am asking in a round about way, do the levels go up with the increased age of the child or is there some flexibility where the levels are more age appropriate. I am sorry this is so confused, you can see I clearly need help. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks Lucy

hmb Wed 14-Jul-04 16:59:54

At age 7 the attainment target (aka lvels) is somewhere in the 2 band. Children working at 1 are below avarage, and children on a 3 or higher are working above avarage. At age 10 the government wants all children to be at a 4 or 5. At age 13 they want them to be working at a 5 or 6, with pressure on schools to get children up to the 6 level. There is one set of targets that take a child from 4 to 13.

HTH

lucy5 Wed 14-Jul-04 19:28:18

Thanks so much, that sounds logical. I dont know why they just didnt put that on the national curriculum website.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »