Talk

Advanced search

Summer learning loss

(15 Posts)
TheStudent Tue 30-May-17 15:46:14

Summer learning loss is the loss of academic skills and knowledge over the course of summer holidays.

I am currently doing a university project to suggest a method of tackling summer learning loss in children in secondary school.

If anyone could fill in this questionnaire it would help the project greatly.

bhunt5.typeform.com/to/QJkJqC

Thank you.

CruCru Tue 30-May-17 23:14:27

Done.

CeciCC Wed 31-May-17 09:06:39

Done

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 31-May-17 17:33:05

Done

Acopyofacopy Wed 31-May-17 17:45:13

Done, as a parent. I am very happy for my kids to spend a homework free careless summer.

As a secondary teacher all I have to say is that I will not be providing and/or marking any summer work.

TheStudent Wed 31-May-17 18:51:52

Thank you all for your responses, the comments and information gained are invaluable to my project.

OverAndAbove Wed 31-May-17 18:56:48

I would fill it in but it doesn't seem to work on iPad?

happygardening Thu 01-Jun-17 13:28:46

I can't get the link to work either. DS2 went to a super selective boarding school he only did school work (revision) in Easter holidays before his IGCSE's and the Easter holidays before his Pre Us. The rest of the time he just chilled and enjoyed life away from school, this was the school's policy. It made absolutely no difference to his academic achievement in fact I personally believe we need regular rests away from study and remember and learn better for it.

NennyNooNoo Thu 01-Jun-17 13:48:19

Couldn't open it beyond the opening statement on the first page on my iPad either.

SaltyMyDear Thu 01-Jun-17 13:49:29

Does the summer learning loss happen in the UK?

I thought all the studies about it had been done in the US, where they have a 3 month summer break......

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Thu 01-Jun-17 13:51:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheStudent Thu 01-Jun-17 16:16:01

The survey should be up and running again if you've had issues.

The range of opinions on this topic is very interesting, again thank you for your responses.

RedSandYellowSand Thu 01-Jun-17 16:29:42

I started, and then stopped, as we have a 3 month summer holiday, and think it will skew your results (just u dear 2 weeks til we finish, back mid sept).
I will be doing stuff over the summer - reading, writing, maths.

TeenAndTween Fri 02-Jun-17 14:32:12

I don't think your definition of homework was as clear as it could have been.

DDs school does not set homework over the holidays, but I do 'work at home' (aka homework) with them. This is because my DDs struggle at school and taking the time to reinforce key skills and hopefully improve a bit, is helpful to them.

This summer DD2 will be doing some maths, literacy, touch typing and reading. It sounds a lot but it won't be everything every day, and it is a well worn path for us.

TalkinPeece Fri 02-Jun-17 15:13:02

Homework is not the issue.
Long holidays are not the issue.
Kids whose knowledge regresses over the summer are often those who are given the least support, stimulus and interaction.

If long summer breaks were the problem, UK boarding schools would all be failing by now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now