Talk

Advanced search

Open University

(4 Posts)
lilyblossom1201 Wed 17-May-17 20:00:24

Has anyone studied a course at the OU? I've applied to study health and social care.m and currently work as a home care assistant. Just wondering if it's worth doing it that way so I can continue working? Or better to leave my job and focus on going through the college process? I'm 22 and have a 2 year old at home.

AnthonyPandy Wed 17-May-17 20:09:16

What is your final goal? Jobwise and otherwise? Why that degree?

lilyblossom1201 Fri 19-May-17 20:32:16

Either to do nursing or work my way to become a social worker not fully decided yet and still along way to go before I have to decide.

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Sun 21-May-17 09:22:42

Hi. I have studied with OU as has husband. Advantages are that you can keep on working. Disadvantages are that it takes longer; you are more isolated so can't just ask your mate how they tackled the essays; quality of tutors and accessibility to them is variable. Finally, and for me, this was the biggie when I was doing my post grad, no library to go and rummage round.

However, I work with someone who is just finishing the course you want to do with the OU and so has kept on working. To get it done more quickly she took on two units s year so was really really pushed at times - particularly when work also got busier but overall has been happy with the way she did it. I think with you having a child, it may well fit better than uni and then you won't run up debt either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now