Talk

Advanced search

Applying for jobs

(5 Posts)
goldenlilliesdaffodillies Wed 03-May-17 11:53:43

It has been such a long time since I have applied for a teaching job. What do you do if you apply for 2 jobs but get interviews for both? Do you say you have to wait until your second interview before accepting it? I have applied for a lovely job quite a distance away, but also seen another one much closer to home but interviews aren't for another couple of weeks. The second one would be better for me than the first one, but then I might not get either!

Also at what point do you tell your head teacher that you have applied for other jobs?
Thanks for your help.

BackforGood Wed 03-May-17 23:38:25

Can't really help you on the first question, but IME, you need to tell your HT when you apply, as they will be asked for references, and it's obviously going to be better that you've told them, than this coming as a surprise to them.

MummyBear1536 Fri 12-May-17 10:15:59

You need to tell head before you apply as they will be asked for a reference before you find out if you have an interview.
With regards to having 2 interviews, there's nothing you can do. Telling a school that you are waiting until you have another interview is unprofessional and they will more than likely just offer the job to their second choice. You have to make the decision now. If you are in desperate need of a job, grab what you can. If you are in love with the second one and can afford to miss out on both, DON'T attend the first interview.

MummyBear1536 Fri 12-May-17 10:18:04

They will ask on the interview day if you would accept the job if they offered it. If you say yes, this is a verbal context and whilst not binding, you would not be looked on favourably for backing out. Head teachers talk to each other. They will more than likely offer you the job the evening of the interview so you need to know your decision.

iseenodust Fri 12-May-17 10:41:23

Might get more help if post as a query in Staffroom ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now