Talk

Advanced search

Private schools Sutton, Epsom, Banstead, Ewell

(10 Posts)
Crazycatladyloz82 Sat 22-Apr-17 16:40:56

We are looking to send DD to private school. We have looked at Sutton High, Greenacres (before it merged), Seaton House, Chinthurst, Ewell Castle and we are down to see Aberdour.

We really aren't keen on Chinthurst as it is still very much a boys school, some classes have 2 girls. Greenacres (Banstead Prep) is out the running as I don't want to get involved with United Learning.
Does anyone have experience with Sutton High/Seaton House/Aberdour/Ewell Castle please?

terrifictoddlers Sat 22-Apr-17 21:20:32

Hi! My children r still little! and boys!! But if it helps - I went to Sutton High from age 11 to 16 (I left about 20 yrs ago!!! Gosh Im old!!!!) It was a nice, friendly school. Pupils largely worked very hard (although not me!!), the sports facilities and sports ethic was good, music was encouraged (I seem to remember being in choir and orchestra etc.. !!) I used to get a school coach provided by the school, and we were bused in from quite far away (my journey was around 45 mins to an hour). I expect things have changed quite a bit, but I certainly remember feeling the students who went to Sutton high were v nice girls. No bullying in my year AT ALL!!! which is quite something!! I had a few negative experiences - but most were related to me and my teenage-ness, rather than the school itself. All the teachers were lovely! (Although 1 or 2 were not too great at teaching! .. I expect they have long since left now!). If I had girls, and we still lived in that neck of the woods, I'd b more than happy to send them there!!! (it was also a very multi-cultural school, which I think was great.)

la20017 Sat 22-Apr-17 22:51:53

Have not heard great things about Sutton High at all. We went to look it it for our DD, though they are older, and were told that unless very academic, it is not really the school for us. One of DD's friend was asked to leave in year 6 as she was only getting C grades! Would not touch Banstead Prep, they are not getting the numbers they thought they would and there is only a three year contract with United Learning..... I do know of a couple of girls who went to Aberdour and loved it, the same with Ewell Castle. Senton House as well, I have only heard great things about.

terrifictoddlers Sat 22-Apr-17 23:25:37

Might be a bit far, but back in my day Croydon High had a very good reputation. Like Sutton High, they used to run school busses to pick children up from various towns including Sutton and Banstead, and I gather they still run this service, (but now use mini busses and pick up from more locations than previously). Might b worth a look?

Crazycatladyloz82 Mon 24-Apr-17 08:25:55

Thanks terrific we will take a look at Croydon High

Leeds2 Mon 24-Apr-17 09:50:15

My DD is 19. When she was your DD's age, Seaton House had a reputation for being very academically focused and, certainly, the homework my friend's year 3 and 4 year olds got was mouthwatering in quantity. It wouldn't have been the school of choice for me.

Could look at Cumnor House School for Girls in Purley; if interested, I know that they have an Open Day this coming Wednesday. Doesn't go up to seniors if that is important to you.

omnishambles Mon 24-Apr-17 12:19:47

They all do different things for different sorts of girls. Trouble is you cant tell at this age. Do you think you want her to go to grammar school? Are you sporty?Do you want co-ed?Are you looking for all through?

Some of these will have big waitlists as well - well Seaton House normally does as it is tiny, the others not so much.

Crazycatladyloz82 Mon 24-Apr-17 19:44:29

Thanks Leeds I will see if I can go to Cumnor house on Wednesday.

Yes shambles we sadly don't know what child she will be yet. I think very few people do when their child is 4. I want to try and offer her an all round education until we know what her strengths are. We are open to co-ed or single sex, so long as it is a good and happy school. When she is older, and we don't need wrap around care, if she was smart enough I would be happy for her to go to a grammer.

omnishambles Tue 25-Apr-17 11:47:55

Yes but in Sutton being smart enough isn't really enough. You need quite a lot of tutoring in Year 5 and a really solid grounding before that, plus you really need to be in catchment for the girls schools to make sure - hence why people choose somewhere that will do that from the outset like Seaton House. Other schools who feed different secondary options like Aberdour won't be so focused on it.

Plus there's no point in sending your child to a more academic school and then moaning that the sport is rubbish etc.

Basically for a good all round you are looking at Aberdour or Sutton High, academic you are looking at Seaton House, pastoral you are looking at Ewell Castle.

Discount what people say about the schools - there is so much chat and most of it is complete rubbish.

Focus on what you think you will want at 11 and what will be easiest in terms of where you live and then work back from that.

Plus I would always want girls only so that a girl can fill the full spectrum of what they might turn out to be iyswim.

homebythesea Tue 25-Apr-17 13:14:36

what about Downsend Prep which feeds into Epsom College and St Johns amongst many others

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: