Talk

Advanced search

When have your children got half term in October 2017?

(16 Posts)
MrsFogi Thu 20-Apr-17 17:17:38

Our state school seems to suddenly have two weeks off (I'm sure it used to be 1 week) - is this happening everywhere? If not, what dates are your dcs off as I feel this may be an occasion we will actually be able to find a reasonably priced holiday (i.e. if most other schools apart from the privates have one week)? flowers

Iwantacampervan Thu 20-Apr-17 18:49:41

Sat 21st - Sun 29th October - Hampshire & West Sussex

BackforGood Thu 20-Apr-17 18:59:02

Same in Birmingham (and for the couple of Private schools that I know of here - they tend to have their extra weeks on the 'big' holidays, not 1/2 terms.)

TurquoiseFlamingo Thu 20-Apr-17 19:05:52

Is it an academy?
Lots of private schools have two weeks and some academies (academies are free to set their own holidays)

tinypop4 Sat 22-Apr-17 16:24:44

16th-27th October. This is in Brighton and Hove where they are trialling 3 years of a 2 week October half term.

Dixiechickonhols Sat 22-Apr-17 21:20:14

Great to have a 2 week October you can have main Hol then. We have got last 7 yrs, sadly dd moving to secondary with only 1 week. We are in Lancashire and off 1 week 30th oct back Nov 6th, seems week later than most.

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 22-Apr-17 21:25:07

we've got w/b 9th October. Loads of schools up here get two weeks in October though (traditionally country areas get 2 weeks for the potato harvest - tattie holidays)

Iamastonished Sat 22-Apr-17 21:45:17

Two weeks in October is KS4 and KS5 is unworkable and impractical. last October DD (year 12) got 16 pieces of homework. If she had 2 weeks she would get 32 pieces.

They break up on 27th October this year for a week (Barnsley)

BackforGood Sat 22-Apr-17 23:56:25

I think that is pretty unusual Iamastonished
None of my dc ever have, (different schools), nor nieces and nephews (different schools again).

Iamastonished Sun 23-Apr-17 09:40:42

She had 12 pieces of homework for February half term BackforGood, and said that she felt like she hadn't had a break. She is currently studying 4 A level subjects, but will be dropping one after the AS exams.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 25-Apr-17 12:54:50

Iamastonished - I am actually astonished that your DD gets so much homework at half term. DS is at a superselective who has a no homework policy during holidays thankfully.

CruCru Tue 25-Apr-17 17:19:22

21 October to 5 November (central London prep school).

Iamastonished Tue 25-Apr-17 17:57:31

This is for 4 A level subjects. She got very little homework over the Christmas holidays though.

She is at a high performing comprehensive school.

PettsWoodParadise Wed 26-Apr-17 20:06:55

DD was at a private school that had 2 weeks in October but that made the term go on later in December and enough of the parents complained that it meant less opportunity for skiing and so the school reduced the October half term and lengthened the Christmas break. I kid you notgrin. I liked the longer half term as it often meant we could afford a holiday in the 'cheaper' week. We couldn't afford skiing so were pretty fed up with the change.
Now DD is in state school it is one week plus one inset day, but another state school in the same borough has two weeks.

nightswimming1 Sat 29-Apr-17 20:51:15

Pretty much all the top independent schools give two weeks at October (and many others besides). Seems to be perfectly workable (as it was when I was at school and did 4 A levels).

Feelingworriednow Mon 01-May-17 21:00:51

All Rutland schools have 2 weeks off at the middle to end of Oct. it has been like that for at least 10 years and is brilliant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now