Talk

Advanced search

Repeating a year for twins born late August - possible?

(9 Posts)
loumaria Tue 18-Apr-17 14:34:41

Hi, I am moving out of London and would like to arrange for my twins to repeat year 3 at the same time. It seems like the perfect opportunity and hopefully they wouldn't resent it so much. They were born the end of August so are the youngest in their class and struggle a lot, emotionally and academically. In turn this has knocked their confidence. They can be quite anxious and are convinced they are 'not good at learning' which breaks my heart and I know wouldn't be the case if they had begun school at 5 instead of 4.
I have only just begun to look into this but would appreciate any advice/experience anyone has to offer. Thanks x

CaulkheadNorth Tue 18-Apr-17 14:37:26

I've known it happen with children in the independent sector, but very rare in state schools.

Abetes Tue 18-Apr-17 14:40:04

Yes, children out of year happens in the private sector from time to time but I've never heard of it in the state sector.

2014newme Tue 18-Apr-17 15:07:17

I'm not sure many schools have the budget to give anyone that wants it an extra year in school! That's expensive!
You may be better looking at private schools.
By year 3 most August born are not significantly behind normal ranges. Do your children have undiagnosed special needs?

Amaried Tue 18-Apr-17 15:12:26

It wouldn't be unusual here in ireland And can work out well. We don't have an age cut off though . Parents decide whether 4 or 5 depending on particular child

2014newme Tue 18-Apr-17 15:17:28

Amaried cam a parent decide they want their child to repeat any year?

mrz Tue 18-Apr-17 15:18:19

Amaried the OPs children are aged 7 (8 in Aug) and have already been in school four years

mrz Tue 18-Apr-17 15:21:39

It's very unusual for children to permanently move down a year in state schools. It can mean they miss Year 6 and move straight from Y5 to Y7 or miss Y7 and move from primary to Y8 so not something to be considered lightly. An independent school will usually accommodate parents wishes.

Amaried Wed 19-Apr-17 12:58:47

Sorry I was vague. Yes children can repeat any year here if teachers agree it's in child's best interest, it doesn't tend to happen much any more because if parents have any doubt they tend to start them later at 5 so the age factor tends to be dealt with then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now