Talk

Advanced search

Paying a Tutor

(4 Posts)
Dannygirl Fri 14-Apr-17 08:22:13

Hi there my DS has just started having someone come to our home once a week to help him with his maths. I have just been paying direct into the tutor's bank account assuming she is set up as self employed and organising her own tax returns etc...but is that a bit naive? Do I need to get her to confirm in writing that she is paying tax or am I worrying unnecessarily? If you've employed a tutor before, how did it work? Thanks!

mummytime Fri 14-Apr-17 14:22:57

How much is she seeing your son? If a couple of hours then there is no way she could be seen as your employee.
If she comes to you via an agency there is a possibility that HmRC could judge that she is employed by the agency, but definitely not by you.
So you have no more need to worry than for the gardener etc. Although she may be entitled to holidays, but that is usually covered by normal time off.

musicmomma Fri 14-Apr-17 14:25:43

Hello I am a private music tutor and know a lot of other tutors, we are all responsible enough to be paying tax and declaring our earnings. If you're paying into her bank account rather than cash in hand she is extremely likely to be registered as self employed

Dannygirl Fri 14-Apr-17 15:28:42

OK thanks both yes it's just an hour a week paid into her account direct - thanks for the reassurance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now