Talk

Advanced search

A Level Revision

(5 Posts)
caremummy Tue 11-Apr-17 14:09:25

Going to be having Twin DSIL staying with us until June, both are 18 and DSIL1 is doing A Levels but seems to be struggling - not with the work with revising, writing notes etc.
One of her subjects is an Applied A Level and she's doing fine with that the coursework (50%) is done and the exam is memory based and not too difficult.
The other Two are Geography + Politics, neither of which has been finished teaching. She's also doing a resit in each of these.
How should we go about supporting her? She has about 75% of revision notes done across the two subjects and is intelligent (AAB in the AS Level year). She also has mocks after Easter.
DSIL2 is doing a GCSE's and a double AS Level as she had to miss 14 months of school due to illness. She doesn't do any of the subjects that DSIL1 does, but seems okay with them all.
Both of them deserve and are capable of A's and really want them. Any tips?

Ocies Tue 11-Apr-17 14:56:59

As much practice of past questions/papers as possible. You can usually download past papers from the exam board websites together with the mark schemes.

JanetBrown2015 Thu 13-Apr-17 18:53:41

I have twins doing A levels but no AS resits as they did fairly well last year. They find those revision guides you can buy on Amazon are good.

They don't do revision notes by the way. They say some childern ate school seem obssessed by writing out revision notes. My boys don't remember work by writing notes at all. They learn in different ways. Everyone needs to find what works for them.

Good luck
I agree with the suggest above of past papers.

AAB last year in AS is good (mine both got AAAA last year in AS which are surprisingly good - in fact I thoughth they were joking when they called me) but I hope they don't let off from the hard work at this stage.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 13-Apr-17 19:56:29

My DD is also doing A levels - seems to have sussed what works for her (lots of past papers for maths, revision notes for physics). The main things she needs is a quiet, undisturbed space, food, sleep (she is a teenager, honest!), and some downtime.

And (obviously), paper, notebooks and pens which suit her hand.

homebythesea Sat 15-Apr-17 09:16:24

What I found with DS (also did geog and politics) was basically to leave him to do the revision in whatever way he found helpful (and it sounds like they do know how to revise given AS results) but to keep the household on an even keel, the fridge well stocked, to be present and supportive but not micro managing. The mocks will highlight any areas to concentrate on but that's not really your issue. You just need to be there and bite your tongue if tempers flare!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now