Talk

Advanced search

Secondary Education in Brighton & Hove

(8 Posts)
smithlj Tue 04-Apr-17 17:45:58

I will be moving to Brighton next year and I was wondering if anyone has experience with Brighton and Hove High School. It looks like a nice school and the result for last year seem good. I am looking for a school for my daughter who will be joining in year 7.

sushiforever Wed 05-Apr-17 08:12:20

hello - I don't have personal experience but if I was you I'd post on "local" for Brighton as more relevant people will see your post. Also, google that school on mumsnet as I know lots of people have previously posted on that and other Brighton secondary schools. good luck

tinypop4 Wed 05-Apr-17 10:52:57

Hi bhhs is a lovely school, never heard much negativity about it and have a lot of friends with dds there.
Are you only looking at independent? If not and you can move into the Preston Park area, Dorothy Stringer is an excellent state school. If you are Catholic Cardinal Newman is good but very big.

Faithless12 Wed 05-Apr-17 11:09:56

I've heard great things about Brighton and Hove high school. Not so great things about Dorothy Stringer and reports from some that Patcham is on the up.

Mulberrybaby Thu 17-Aug-17 23:51:36

BHHS has gone downhill rapidly, I have heard that the staff have discussed a mutiny as they are so disgruntled with the Head and the SLT.
Staff turnover is high as everyone has become so demoralised with the way the school is being run.
The prep school is known to be very good as the Head is superb, however it's a totally different story at the High School.

ABitOTT Fri 18-Aug-17 23:09:16

I'm only going on local gossip but apparently the academic standards are not as high as they used to be. More pupils are being allowed in when years ago they would not had gained places. Gossip is just that though & you need to visit & see what you think.

Blatchington Mill, a local state secondary in Hove, has taken leavers from BHH prep, as well as other private schools in the area. Worth looking at if your child is bright as your child is likely to achieve wherever they go.

Mulberrybaby Fri 18-Aug-17 23:44:32

They have been very quiet regarding their Exam results this year Abibott!
No doubt they'll publish them on the school's website in due course!
One things for sure the High school is not the school it once was!

MissWimpyDimple Sat 19-Aug-17 21:57:26

There are a few posters on MN who will also pop up to say how terrible BHHS is. I think it's the same few.

I've applied for my daughter and I've not heard anything in real life to back up what I hear on MN.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now